Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Just Returned From Palm Cove with a Sebel Reef House Update!

Old Sep 21st, 2004, 04:18 PM
dkw
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Husband and I just returned from a great trip to Australia (I will post a trip report soon!!) and read Andrew98765's (or whatever) post about the Sebel Reef House.
The good news is that in the time between when Andrew&%@#$ was there and we were there (Sept 14-16) they have evidently fixed EVERYTHING, as it was perfect for our stay!!

We could not have asked for nicer accomodations or a more pleasant staff. Our room was nicely furnished, the bathroom wonderful and the kitchenette a great plus!

I'm sure some of you have been worried, possibly losing sleep, that an institution such as the Sebel Reef House was going to the dogs.....but it just isn't so!! In fact the worst thing that happened to me there was that in making our morning coffee in the cool french press provided, on our lovely veranda, overlooking the pool, my husband inadvertantly got some coffee grounds in my cup. I think that that deserves at least a free dinner....don't you??

DKW
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 04:43 PM
dkw
Original Poster

BTW...we didn't have a desk in our room! Thank Heavens!!!...If it had been chipped, it would have ruined our vacation!!
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 06:18 PM

Phew! thank heaven's now I can sleep nights. I just 'know' that everyone will feel the same.
Thank you dkw for your update it is good to know that all has been made wonderful again.
Seriously though we do appreciate feedback and it really was not so much the hearing of bad tidings about a place that made us mad - it was the way in which Andrew 93759873 went about it - and the way he is continuing to go about it on Frommers site. As Alan has said time and time again, we don't care less about what is said about these chain hotels it is more 'how its said'.
All that aside though I really do feel that if your husband did get grains of coffee in your cup then that is most definately cause for divorce.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 09:51 PM

Hi, dkw!

It was nice to see a post on this particular establishment that was light in tone -- I laughed out loud, and I am thinking of doing a cut-and-paste of your comments on to the Frommer's Board, where Andrew continues to defend his conduct and insist that our over-reaction to his post is that we can't stand criticism of our "precious" Australian icons (actually, we only have one precious Auistralian icon, and, as usual, she got in first and posted before me!)

I bet you got the same room that Andrew did -- the "no desk" was because they hid it in the back shed when they heard that another American was coming! Is it true that in the last three weeks the Sebel has refurbished all its bathrooms and installed green-and-black-mottled tiles, so that you can't tell whether they're mouldy or not?

Did you have a dessert -- free or otherwise -- and was it worth fighting for?

Finally, I wouldn't really go ahead and divorce your husband -- it's easy for Liz to say that, as she stands six-foot-eight, and who's going to argue with her?

Thanks for posting and giving me a big, long smile!

Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 12:08 AM

Hi dkw,
Happy to hear PC is as lovely as ever.
Look forward to your trip report

Muck
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 02:15 PM

Mmmm 6'8" ..... since I returned from South America where I ate *REAL MEAT* its more like 6'8" round and 5'2" tall.
No-one is able to stand close enough to argue with me!