just beginning to plan

Jan 2nd, 2011, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

just beginning to plan

a trip to Australia and New Zealand for the end of this year. We are thinking we will have 4 actual weeks there -- or we will if we can find the ff seats!

Planning this is overwhelming. Although originally I though we would fly to Sydney and stay maybe 10-11 days in Australia I am thinking it might be best to fly all the way to Auckland while we are still in jet lag mode -- stay 17 or so days there and then fly back to Australia --

I am looking at the Australia portion right now and wondering about going to Tasmania, Kangaroo Island, The Grampions; the Blue Mountains and then the last 2 nights in Sydney -- we aren't big on cities. So I would come back to Australia and go on to Tasmania that day and spend 3 nights -- then to Kangaroo Island for 2 nights then to the Grampoins for 2 nights and then the Blue Mountains for 2 nights and back to Sydney for 2 nights until we return home.

My question is does this work or make sense? If we did Tasmania and Kangaroo Island are we being redundant? What about the Grampions and the Blue Mountains?

Would appreciate all the feedback I can get here.

Thank you
Jan 2nd, 2011, 04:26 PM

When are you coming because that is the main factor.
Personally I would not make a special trip to either Kangaroo Island because you will see lots of animals in Tasmania nor would I make a trip to the Grampians.
I am surprised that you are not wanting to go to the Great Barrier Reef area as that is so diverse.
Also who are you going to hopefully get FF seats with as that too will be a factor.
Jan 2nd, 2011, 04:29 PM

Where will you be coming from - I put this question on the wrong post!
Jan 2nd, 2011, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

We are coming in December and that is not the time to go to the Great Barrier Reef. We hope to come back earlier in the year in in a few years when it is good to go to Darwin and Cairns and Ayers Rock. But this trip is not for that.

We hope to get them with either Delta or V Australia. I have enough miles for mid so I think I will be able to find them. We will not be able to if we have to use the high mileage.

The Grampions were actually mentioned in a Fodors book and my husband thought they sounded interesting. If it is not worth the time then we will not do it.
Jan 2nd, 2011, 05:10 PM

Grampians well worth doing. I cannot understand your comments about the reef. when were you thinking of returning?
Jan 2nd, 2011, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Hopefully in two years for our 20th anniversary. This one is our 50-60 -- he turns 50 and I turn 60 this year! I was thinking during their spring -- September or so -- when it is cooler in the outback. We would concentrate on the northern areas then.
Jan 2nd, 2011, 08:41 PM

I can understand that you would want to tie up the north at another time of year but the southern parts of Australia ( excluding Tasmania) can get very hot in December as Adelaide and surrounds, Perth and surrounds and Melbourne and surrounds have done this December. That being the case the Grampians and Kangaroo Island would not be great destinations either and my comment about the Grampians was made with your time-table in mind 10 - 11 days as the Grampians certainly would not be amongst the top 20 places in Australia to visit but would be fine if you had more time and were going somewhere else and they were a stopover en route.
Staying on the coastal and eastern seaboard of Australia at that time of year would be the best course of action and could include places like Sydney - Tasmania with its temperate maritime climate and/or northern New South Wales/South East Queensland including places like Morton Island, Stradbroke Island the hinterland of both the Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast. More than enough to keep you interested ( and cool ).
Delta's FF system I think is a bit different from others but as V Australia goes to NZ you should be able to get some good deals with points I would think.
Jan 3rd, 2011, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

I am not sure what you mean by very hot -- I looked online at average summer temperatures and humidity for Adelaide and it appeared to be in the low 80's with lower humidity -- about 30-40%. Is that what you mean by very hot? Or are you talking around 90-100 with humidity above 70%? The first to me is fine but the second is uncomfortable.

I have not looked at the eastern coast -- my impression -- perhaps wrongly as I admit to not looking at it -- is that it is primarily beach territory and I am not one who enjoys sitting on a beach or putting on a swimsuit. But if there is something else over there then I will read up on it. As I started this out -- there is so much to absorb that it is overwhelming. I don't need to have the whole trip planned but I do need to figure out basically where we want to be in Australia when we come back from NZ and what day we want to be there as once you get ff tickets they cost to change them. I may. however just try to get an open jaw ticket -- into Auckland and home from Sydney -- if they allow that I have more freedom -- ie I don't have to go back to Auckland to go to Sydney to go to Tasmania -- I might fly Christchurch to Melbourne to Hobart instead and spend less time traveling.

If I am correct, I am picking up from you that Tasmania and the Blue Mountains are definitely worth some time -- and I will look at Morton Island etc as well to see what is there.

Thank you
Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:53 AM

I don't know what the humidity was in Adelaide and Melbourne on the hot days in December but I think the temps went to about 42 C ( 107.6 F)and higher inland of course. It is not always like that but regularly each summer you can expect periods of very high temps, with or without bushfires and with or without humidity.
No the eastern seaboard is not just beach territory but because it is near the beach with sea breezes it is cooler most of the time than those areas that are blasted by heat from the desert.
The hinterland of the Gold Coast is beautiful both in flora and fauna with rain forests, waterfalls, beautiful walks, fantastic birds ( as has most of Australia ).
Tasmania has lovely wilderness areas, pretty little convict built villages, diverse and interesting countryside, great food, beer and wines, and World Heritage areas. It is different from NZ though a similiar climate but not as cold as the south island of NZ.