Jet Lag

Jan 26th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Jet Lag

Hi all

I've traveled to Europe many a time, but this will be my first trip to NZ. Could anyone tell me which direction is worse - coming or going - or does it make no difference at all because it's flipping your clock over?

I also would like to know - would it be advisable, on the way home, to have two full days off before heading back to work, or is one enough? When I go to Europe, I usually don't take ANY - I get in on Sunday evening, go to work Monday - and I gotta say it isn't always the most pleasant Monday but I've survived it.

Would giving myself a full day (leave Saturday, get home Sunday, and go to work Tuesday (day after Labor Day) be enough, or do many of you find an extra day is even better?

thanks!
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:18 AM

I think that most people feel that travelling East is harder. I find that sleeping as much as you can on the plane (aided by alcohol I have to add ... which I know is a big no-no) helps. Also - trying to arrive closest to the end of the day so that you can get to a proper bed asap helps.

If you haven't got any kids - I always think getting straight back on the horse is the best way to deal with things - ie straight back to your desk - even if it is straight off a flight. You get through it somehow, even if it's only sorting through the post, dealing with emails, etc.

If you have kids though (as I do), I'd recommend taking a full day off to settle (do the washing - fun stuff like that!).

K
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:42 AM

>>>Would giving myself a full day (leave Saturday, get home Sunday, and go to work Tuesday (day after Labor Day) be enough, or do many of you find an extra day is even better?<<<

Just a point of clarification, if you live in the United States. If you leave NZ on Saturday, you most likely will arrive in the US on the same day, Saturday. You probably will not arrive on Sunday. That's because NZ is almost a day ahead of the US, and you'll be crossing the International Date Line on your way home.
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

ahhhh, thanks. answered the question then doesn't it?

or, does it pose a new one... stay through SUNDAY!?
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:40 AM

Irrespective of which direction I travel I always find the final flight home is the one I struggle to recover from.

I've travelled competely around the world 4 times and in both directions and it is always the final leg that gets me. Similarly if i'm just travelling to Asia or West Coast America I'm fine getting there; I think my body just wants to get on with the trip, and adjusts quickly; When I get home, however, 3-4 weeks later I guess my body says "enough - time for some chaos".

Search this Thread