Search

Itinerary decisions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2017, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary decisions

We will be in New Zealand at the end of Dec/ beg of Jan. We have one person in a power wheelchair. I just saw highway 1 between Picton and Kaikoura will re-open a few weeks before we arrive. Originally I had eliminated Kaikoura from our plans since we didn't want to take the long alternate route. But since it will be open again, I am reconsidering a few options...

Option 1 (more time on the North Island):
Bay of Plenty (or instead Hawkes Bay after Rotorua)
Bay of Plenty (or instead Hawkes Bay after Rotorua)
Rotorua
Rotorua
Wellington
Picton
Picton
Punakaiki
Franz Josef

Option 2 (more time on the South Island):
Auckland
Rotorua
Rotorua
Wellington
Picton
Picton/Kaikoura
Kaikoura
Punakaiki (via Arthur's Pass)
Franz Josef

We are deciding between spending a couple of nights on the Bay of Plenty (or maybe Hawkes Bay) vs a couple of nights in Kaikoura....which is more scenic? Both of these include limited or no time in Auckland...am I making a mistake with this? We don't really enjoy museums, etc and the car ferry to Waiheke Island is quite pricey. The rest of our SI itinerary (from Wanaka to Te Anau to Queenstown to Mt Cook Village to Christchurch) will remain the same either way. We really enjoy beautiful scenery, road trips, charming beautiful little towns, etc.
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 08:57 AM

The road is set to open officially on December 15 2017. It's been a massive job to clear the 84 slips across the road!
It's likely to be one lane in some places with stop/go guys directing the traffic meaning it could be very slow. I would probably not go that way as it could be really busy and really slow. Because of our narrow roads in NZ we have had road trips that easily take double the time because of the traffic.
Skip Bay of Plenty. Hawke's Bay is a better choice.
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 09:37 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Could you please post your entire itinerary?

It's difficult to help otherwise.
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 09:41 PM

Have you booked any accommodation?
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Yes I have almost all of my accommodation booked. Here is my itinerary as of now. Please take into account we will not be able to do as many activities/hikes as most people since we have a wheelchair. I'd love to hear your recommendations for accessible activities and hikes though.

Dec 22: Auckland (arrive at 9am)
Dec 23: Rotorua
Dec 24: Rotorua (or perhaps Taupo to break up the drive to Wellington)
Dec 25: Wellington
Dec 26: Picton (evening ferry from WLG to Picton)
Dec 27: Picton / Kaikoura (undecided if we should do 2N Picton/1N Kaikoura or vice versa..I guess it depends on how much is wheelchair accessible in both areas. Will we be able to see any of the Queen Charlotte sounds etc? We also want to stop at a couple wineries near Blenheim on our way)
Dec 28: Kaikoura
Dec 29: Punakaiki (via Arthur's Pass...yes this will be a long driving day but I hate going to NZ and missing out on AP. Plus we really do enjoy scenic drives)
Dec 30: Franz Josef Glacier (I don't think there will be enough accessible things to do here for more than 1N...thoughts?)
Dec 31: Wanaka
Jan 1: Wanaka
Jan 2: Te Anau
Jan 3: Te Anau (Milford Sound cruise)
Jan 4: Queenstown (perhaps stop at a couple of wineries in Central Otago on our way back up to Queenstown?)
Jan 5: Queenstown (day trip to Glenorchy and Mt Aspiring?)
Jan 6: Queenstown
Jan 7: Mt Cook Village
Jan 8: Mt Cook Village (is 2N too many?)
Jan 9: Christchurch (fly out the morning of the 10th)

I realize the itinerary is very South Island heavy but that's our primary objective in going to NZ (to see beautiful scenery. Instead of the Kaikoura/Arthur's Pass, we could add a night or two to the North Island but I'm just not sure where. I'd hate to miss out on AP especially since the drive from Picton to Punakaiki is already 4.5 hrs anyway (what's 1-2 more hrs to go via AP?)
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 01:58 PM

<<Will we be able to see any of the Queen Charlotte sounds etc?>>

The mail boat, a water taxi that services the Marlborough sounds would be an ideal way to spend your day in Picton. I suggest you contact them directly to discuss accessibility.

If you have time, I also highly recommend you take Queen Charlotte Drive between Picton and Havelock - fabulous views and some excellent overlooks.

The Pancake Rocks walkway is wheelchair friendly as is Ships Creek on the West Coast:

https://www.newzealand.com/us/feature/ship-creek/

I always suggest at least two nights at the glaciers which only gives you one full day to explore.

The Lake Matheson track near Fox Glacier is accessible as far as the jetty viewpoint.

There's also a lovely boardwalk in Glenorchy that is accessible.

I suggest you contact the I sites in each town you will be visiting to ask about accessible tracks - I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

There are no wineries that I'm aware of between Te Anau and Queenstown, but if you turn towards Arrowtown as you return to QT, you will find plenty of options along SH 6.

No, two nights in Mt Cook is definitely not too long. It will only give you one full day.

Don't underestimate the drive times between locations - they can often eat up a full day, leaving little time to see the places you've driven to if you only allow one night.

<<I realize the itinerary is very South Island heavy>>

As well it should be! The SI is the best of NZ IMO. You won't regret the time you spend there - there's never enough time!

We're currently planning our 14th trip to the SI - a full month -
and I'm still having trouble narrowing it down.
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 02:37 PM

On your last post "New Zealand rough itinerary (wheelchair accessible)" Melnq8 gave you a link for
http://travability.travel/New%20Zeal...uth-island.pdf
According to the above link Fox has more accessible walks than Franz Josef (Lake Matheson and Minnehaha), so maybe you should consider staying there instead. They're about a half hour apart. Lake Matheson is best early morning or late afternoon, as these are better times for catching reflections on the water.

In Franz Josef, there's a easy walk to Peter's Pool with a pretty reflecting pool and glacier view (though the glacier has receded, and is receding, so there's no telling how much glacier you'll see). It's not listed on the above "travability" link, however, if you go to the specific link for Peter's Pool, you will see a wheelchair access symbol.
http://www.doc.govt.nz/peters-pool-walk
https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/Attrac..._Coast_Re.html

Beachcomber Cruises offers boat rides into the sounds from Picton. You'll have to contact them about wheelchair accessibility.
http://www.beachcombercruises.co.nz/

You can do the Queen Charlotte Drive from Picton to Anakiwa (about 35 minutes). From Anakiwa, you can continue to Havelock (about 25 minutes). Havelock is known as the "greenshell mussel capital of the world" so it's a good place to dine on the local specialty.

If you're interested in doing one of the wildlife cruises out of Kaikoura, you should contact them directly. I found this posting from 2013:
"Whale Watch Kaikoura can accommodate for guests in wheelchairs. What will happen is they would be put into a carry on chair that Whale Watch have to transfer the passenger onto the vessel and they will then be seated beside a window with full viewing. The passenger would need to be able to support themselves to get out of the carry on chair and into their seat. Unfortunately if you are bound by an electric chair these cannot be accommodated for as you are unable to take your own chair on board the vessel. Please be aware that the captain has the final say as to whether or not wheelchair bound passengers can travel on the day. If weather conditions are unfavourable and bumpy then the captain may decline any wheelchair bound passengers as it will just be too uncomfortable for them and not safe. If this is the case then obviously a full refund would be issued.
$150."

I see Kaikoura still have accommodation availability for Dec. 28 (which surprised me).

I don't know how scenic the drive will be from Picton to Kaikoura. There are strong indications that the road will be open, but I expect there will still be lots of trucks around making repairs , including completion of new retaining walls. I should be an interesting drive.

Yesterday, I read an informative article on expected conditions during these early days or re-opening for the Picton to Kaikoura route, but sadly I couldn't relocate the article! I do remember reading the road will have some 30 kph stretches, so it will be slow-going at times.

Hawkes Bay is attractive as well. Napier has Art Deco architecture, a pretty waterfront (Marine Parade) with the National Aquarium. In Hastings, you can drive up to Te Mata Peak for some great views. So many lovely wineries! I thought Craggy Range had a scenic location in the shadow of Te Mata Peak.
http://tematapark.co.nz/gallery/
https://www.craggyrange.com/
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 02:39 PM

Sorry, didn't see you post until after I posted, Melnq8, thus the duplicated info.
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 04:01 PM

I'm debating on that drive myself Diamantina, and we're not travelling until May. I see a lot of potential issues, even months after the proposed opening.
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 01:52 AM

Melnq8, I'll try and keep you posted of any articles I see pertaining to the repairs of SH 1 between Picton and Kaikoura. Yesterday was the one-year anniversary of the Kaikoura quake, and there was abundant coverage by news media.

Of course, there will be on-going updates on the NZ Transportation website:
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/projects/ka...quake-response

Here is a link to an extensive, interesting article about the monumental repairs and the effects that the road closure has had on local residents.
https://interactives.stuff.co.nz/2017/11/the-road/
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 04:51 AM

Thank you, I'll take a look at those.
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 08:46 PM

Great article about the road, Diamantina. It has been such a massive job putting the road back in.
Traveler 8586 - I'm not sure it would be that scenic actually and it could be a very slow trip. I am being a bit emotional about this as I remember it was a scenic and beautiful drive along the coast there but like Christchurch Cathedral it may never be the same. But for a first time visitor it won't matter in quite the same way.
Have a look at NZ Transport website when you arrive to make a better decision.