Search

Interisland Ferry

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 05:52 PM
koa
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interisland Ferry

Okay, I booked the ferry from wellington to Picton. Trip will be in early august. Heard one poster saying that the ferrys are notorious for delays and cancelling trips, especially due to weather. I realize that mother nature calls the shots, but is this a common occurrence in the winter. If I knew this, I would have caught a plane instead!
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 06:29 PM

Just don't travel on the Interislander ferry/Lynx if you absolutely must be somewhere at a given time! We missed our intl. connection because of a cancelled ferry. I'd fly between islands, if it was me.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 06:31 PM

I should have posted that the ferry we took was 2 hours late in arriving at Wellington and was overbooked! A very unpleasant trip with lots of vomiting in the aisles!
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 11:51 AM
koa
Original Poster

well luckily, no international flights will be in jeopardy. My only concern is that a late arrival will mean driving to christchurch in the dark. I hate driving some place unfamiliar in the dark! I guess if its a worse case scenario, we will catch a plane to christchurch.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 07:35 PM

The drive from Picton to Christchurch is spectacular! Don't do it in the dark. The road runs right by the ocean and there are seals, sometimes whales to see. There is a wonderful fresh lobster caravan with whole lobbies for US20-US30. They cut them open, clean them & you eat them at tables by the side of the road! Can't you get an early boat?
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 03:04 PM
koa
Original Poster

Actually I got the morning boat that leaves wellington at 900am. So if there is no delays, most of the drive will be in the daytime hours. Anyone know what time it gets dark in august?
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 04:03 PM

We flew from Picton to Wellington by Soundsair. Took about 25 minutes. A bit bumpy but tolerable. Check out their web site at www.Soundsair.co.nz.
John
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 09:17 PM

Hi Koa

I have attached the sunset times for August in Christchurch

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...2005&day=1

Do not worry about getting to Christchurch after dark or around dusk. Christchurch is a very easy cityto travel round. Not much traffic at all, flat wide roads. All laid out in a way that is easy to understand.

Definately drive down the coast from Picton if you can. Very scenic and rugged coastline round Kaikoura, seals on the side of the road and fantastic crayfish to be had as well. My wife drove this route last week on the way to Hanmer Springs and loved it.

The ferry ride is very picturesque, especially in the Marlborough Sounds. You are only on the open sea for around one hour of your journey. The rest is either in the Sounds or in Wellington harbour.

However if you want to cut out the ferry travel time but still bet to drive the coast then you can fly from Wellington to Blenheim or Picton pick up a rental and go from there. Flight time is around 25 minutes. Blenheim has easier pick ups for rental cars as it is a slightly bigger airport but by no means large.

Hope some of this helps.

Steve
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 01:09 PM
koa
Original Poster

Thanks Steve, very helpful information. Were still going to chance the ferry. Only if they cancel the boat or the delays are really bad will we opt to fly. I really want my kids to have the experience of the ferry.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 03:56 AM

Hi Koa,

I am sure your kids will love it. If they do get bored though, there is a movies theatre on board along witha games arcade to keep them amused.

Just as an aside for other readers. I was in Wellington a couple of weeks back and a friend who lives there told me that the Lynx ferry will no longer be operating across the straight. Therefore all ferries will be the regular three hour trip ones.

Steve
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:23 PM

Cancelling the Lynx service? Gotta be something to do with those 3 metre waves! and very glad koa, that you could make an informed choice, based on everyone's input!