Search

Info on Roadtrains?

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Info on Roadtrains?

Watched a program on roadtrains that travel the long distances in Australia. Does anyone have any info/websites that gives info on roadtrains?

I think it would be interesting to ride with one across Australia. Probably doesn't appeal to most....but I would do it....would be interesting to get a "slice of life" experience.
Old May 30th, 2004, 12:10 PM

circa: If you Google "roadtrains australia" you'll find lots of sites. I didn't see any info on how to "book a ride" as it were. One way might be to hitch a ride. Road trains are not allowed anywhere near the big cities so you'd have to take a bus well out of town, say from Brisbane out west to somewhere like Roma or Barcaldine, hang out in the pubs and see if you can find a driver. I'm more than willing to bet they won't pick you up if they're already moving! I was out in Winton in western Queensland a few years ago and got talking to a roadtrain driver in one of the pubs. I bet if I had asked him for a ride he would have obliged. Let me know how you go...I'd be interested in doing it myself sometime!
Old May 30th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

RalphR

Thanks...I did do the search...found lots of interesting stuff...but nothing on "hitching" a ride. Lots of horror stories from motorist!!!
Old May 30th, 2004, 07:20 PM

circa: I have a few stories myself. In some areas in the Outback, only half the road is paved - the middle half with 1/4 unpaved on either side. Normally this is not a problem as there is so little traffic. When a car comes from the opposite direction, you just slow down a little and edge your left hand tires onto the unpaved bit. The opposing driver does the same, typically passing with a friendly wave (as he's so glad to see another human being!). But as I found out with some consternation, road trains will move off the unpaved section only for other road trains. Cars have to get right off the road or risk the fate of many a 'roo or stray cow!
Old May 30th, 2004, 09:20 PM

I think you will find that there is not much discussed about hitching on Road Trains owing to the insurance issue - I guess it is up individual drivers and the companies that employ them.
Old May 30th, 2004, 09:28 PM

G'day Circa,
if you are keen for a ride on a Roadtrain, your best bet is to stop by a Roadhouse just out of town.
There you can ask the drivers as they pull up for a meal etc..
You could also let the staff at the roadhouse know what you are after and they may pass it on to the drivers.
Owner Drivers are your best bet.
A couple of years ago while on a tour I got chatting to a driver while we both filled up our tanks. He agreed to take one of my passengers as far as his next stop, about 500km further down the road. We then collected her there later on our way through. BTW, she had been waiting for us there for nearly 2 hours
Good luck,
Mike
Old May 31st, 2004, 04:33 AM

Hi Circa,

You have already been given good advice so I will not bore you with any more. I would just like to say that the roadtrain drivers I have met have all been very skillful drivers. A roadtrain is cumbersome beast at best and when she gets up a head of steam there is not much that is going to stop it in a hurry, I see a lot of people play chicken with these leviathans of the road and it makes my blood run cold at the thought of them going underneath one of them.

I have witnessed a car obliterated under a roadtrain, it was not a sight a wish to see again.

The ones you see most on the Stuart HWY usually have three trailers and can reach around 55 metres in length.

If you were desperate to get a ride you could always approach one of the trucking companies like Bulls or NTFS in Alice Springs to see what their policy is on taking a passenger.

Cheers

Paul_S
Old May 31st, 2004, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the replies.

Yes, I have read several accounts of cars encountering roadtrains, and the advice is to pull off the road at first sight, and let them pass. Makes sense to me.

I also see that there are quads (4) trailers....that must be a sight to see.

Again, thanks for the info.
Old May 31st, 2004, 03:03 PM

Noticed a key mistake in my earlier message so I thought I'd fix it and repost, just for the record:

circa: I have a few stories myself. In some areas in the Outback, only half the road is paved - the middle half with 1/4 unpaved on either side. Normally this is not a problem as there is so little traffic. When a car comes from the opposite direction, you just slow down a little and edge your left hand tires onto the unpaved bit. The opposing driver does the same, typically passing with a friendly wave (as he's so glad to see another human being!). But as I found out with some consternation, road trains will move off the PAVED section only for other road trains. Cars have to get right off the road or risk the fate of many a 'roo or stray cow!