In Need of Some Hostel/Hotel Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I know I am super last minute with this, but I have a slight dilemma...

I am studying abroad this semester and I'll be in Sydney for 5 days and 4 nights before I have to be in Canberra for school.

I have YET to book/figure out where I am staying for this long weekend. I have found some hostels on STAtravel.com, but I don't know which ones are the best?

Also, I am trying to stay within a relatively cheap budget since I am going to be traveling around and sight seeing, etc. etc. (I'd like to stay under $50/$60 a night)

I know I am such a procrastinator, but I need some advice!!! What is both safe and relatively inexpensive (looking for some specific places).

THANK YOU!!!
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 10:55 AM

Have you tried looking at Hostelworld.com? That's where my college age kids go to book their hostels. Not knowing your dates, I can't say what's available and at what price, but there are LOTS of Sydney hostels listed on Hostelworld and many of them have a rating of 85% or above. My kids find the ratings and the reviews on Hostelworld to be both accurate and helpful.

Although I have not stayed there, I have read good things about the Sydney Harbour YHA and it gets a rating of 90% on Hostelworld. You can't beat its location in The Rocks.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 02:59 PM

In terms of suburbs of Sydney Glebe, Newtown and Kings Cross have the highest density of backpackers' places. Newtown and Glebe are either side of the University of Sydney so both areas are good for students. The Cross is the red light district so many not be ideal for you.

If it's outside semester time, the Universities often have accommodation. You could check with Sydney University and UNSW both of which have halls of residence.

Longhorn's suggestion of using the Youth Hostels, is a very good idea. Here's the link for specific locations in Sydney:

http://www.yha.com.au/
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 04:08 PM

There are a few other options in your price range... Sinclairs at Surry Hills http://sinclairs.com.au/ I have friend who have used Sinclairs and been really happy.

Are you happy to be in dorm room or do you want a private room?
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Hi emerald,

Thanks for the feedback, and I am open to either option. As long as the location and hostel is relatively safe, I'm good. I have never been in a hostel before, much less on my own, so the whole thing is a bit foreign to me.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 09:15 PM

Getting any single room for $60 a night will be pretty hard in Sydney. A single room in most backpackers will be about that.

You could try "Y hotel on the park" also. Or the Alfred hotel near Central Station.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 11:36 PM

Also check Trip Advisor and Lonely Planet postings.

Make sure to do a Google search for "Sydney hostels bedbugs." You don't want to pick up any critters.