How many states have you visited?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious - a question to those visiting and those, oh so regular, respondents.

Which Australian states or territories have you visited?

Do you have a favourite?

Has anyone out there visited them all?
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 05:46 AM

Well alice, in my case at least, all of them. When you have far-flung family scattered all over the country -Cairns-Perth is probably the longest haul, you sort of have to. Its really horses for courses, no particular favourite, they all have good and bad points.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 12:17 PM

Been to them all, though just to the Kimberley region of WA and just to Adelaide in SA. Lived in the ACT (Canberra) for 3 years. Only major city I haven't visited is Perth....but one of these days I will. Hard to pick a favorite....they're so different and so big it's hard to generalize. But I do have a particular fascination and affection for the outback....so very different (remote, wild, unpopulated) to east coast USA and a lot of other places I've been.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 01:11 PM

All of 'em and the Territories as well.
All have their own bits which are my favourite places but if there was one which I prefer to holiday in it would have to be Tasmania because its different, its like stepping back in time and its like having had a week's holiday as soon as you arrive.
Food and accommodation are wonderful and in spring everyone has a magnificent display of spring flowers and its so pretty.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 02:44 PM

Yes, been to them all. Have lived and worked in NSW (Windsor, Sydney, Blue Mts), NT (Darwin), WA (Kununurra), SA (Adelaide) and ACT (Canberra); visited Victoria and Queensland often, Perth and Hobart less frequently. I'd like to spend more time in Tasmania, as my only visits were work-related. Most liveable cities, Canberra (easily) and Adelaide; Sydney wins the "nice- place-to-visit-but-I-wouldn't-want-to-live-there (unless I had a few million)" award. As I was single and in my 20s when I lived in Darwin my memories are a little foggy, but I've been back since.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 08:38 PM

Likewise, I have been to all states, and my favourites would have to be coastal towns along the Great Ocean Road, then back up into the Grampian Mtns, and what Mt.Beauty, Beechworth, & Mt.Buller.
Then Tasmania is a gem, great food, wines, scenery, and tranquility.
As for WA, I prefer to spend most of my time, down in the south western corner.
NSW - has the beautiful south coast.
Queensland has the great barrier reef, sand islands like Fraser (getting a bit busy there now...a problem with backpackers renting 4WD & rolling them)
then take the clear waters of the surfing beaches at the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast & Rainbow Beach
I guess one could on & on about each state and what part of it, appeals the most.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 12:49 AM

I have never been to WA (on the list).

I only had brief stay in Darwin and the air with so thick with humidity I could hardly breathe. Hard to get motivated to go back but I will (not in December again though)

Tasmania, Enjoyed it but do not have that overwhelming desire to head back as you do when you have had a great holiday.

SA ..it is ok, would like to go back and venture further afield. Have only been Adelaide and wine regions.

NSW. Probably the best option for tourism. Same as Troppo love the south coast. Also love Blue Mountains and also love my special places that I escape to. As with Neil Sydney better place to visit than to live in. Not for the same reasons though but big cities the world over have more stress triggers than smaller cities.

QLD I would consider best place to live in also has great tourism attractions. I love how in QLD the population is better spread out than in most other parts of Australia. I would also suggest that Queensland people are the friendliest and most relaxed.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 04:07 AM

only 3 for me, like most Welsh tourists

QLD,NSW and VIC

Muck
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 01:23 PM

All states and territories.

I love the coast of NSW (north and south), the Reef, and other bits and pieces.

Like Neil, my memories of Darwin are a bit foggy - it's does get hot there, you know - and a girl can work up a thirst!
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 03:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've visited all states and territories, most many times. My heart belong to Melbourne as that's where I was born and live now. I also love Queensland. Adelaide and SA are generally pretty boring but think all the other states/territories have lots to offer travellers.
Kay
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 07:40 AM

QLD, NSW & NT.

NT: Drove & camped from Alice to Uluru/Kings Canyon & back. I loved the remoteness of it all. Being so far away from everyone and everything allows you to put the daily grind out of your head and truly relax.

QLD: Wow - they seem to have everything! Cities, beach, reef, wet/dry tropics, rivers, mountains, desert, farms, LizF and every kind of critter you could possibly imagine Plus the XXXX & Bundy weren't too bad either.

NSW: Have only done Sydney & Blue Mtns but would like to drive Sydney - Brisbane and Sydney to Melbourne.

It may take us a few years but we hope to see them all. Future plans include a trip to WA/NT (Perth & SW corner, Pilbara, Kimberly & the Top End) and another to SA, VIC, ACT & Tassie. We were going to come again this year but the strong Aussie dollar put things on hold for a few months.