How far do the jellyfish go out?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am reeeeally looking forward to some good snorkeling on the GBR in the next couple of weeks, but have begun to freak out reading about the "killer jelly fish!" - If I go snorkeling on an outer reef - will they be out that far? How close to the shore is unsafe? Are there better reefs to go to than others? Thank you!
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 05:45 AM

We faced the same problem in our recent trip to Australia (November/December). We decided to take a day trip to Lizard Island, which is well away from the coast (no stingers) and has some great snorkeling. We flew there with Greg at Daintree Air (www.daintreeair.com.au), and the flight is spectacular also. For a family of 4, it was pricey, but well worth it.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 11:51 AM
hotandsweaty

we also went to the reef in stinger season. the boat trips are safe-- well, as safe as you can be, rihght? i mean it is mother nature and thus unpredictable.
i was stung by a non-deadly one even so...it was tiny, husband saw the "attack" it hurt for about an hour. felt much like a fish bite.
the people on the boat are also euipped with emergency kits just in case (though i don't think they are of use to the killer ones)...
just hae to take your chances- but if you look at the statistics, they are in your favor.
have fun and enjoy the pretty fish and coral and don't let it spoil your time (but you will not be able to swim off the beaches at that time of year).

Old Dec 13th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Janese

When in Port Douglas recently I did a trip out to the reef. All of the operators now give you the option of wearing a total covering lycra suit, which most of the people on the ship used. It was really funny as we looked like coloured penquins but it was an insurance against stingers.
I don't know how far they go out and I wouldn't want to find out the hard way. Supposedly they, the jellyfish, are not out on the outer reefs as they tend to spawn and live in and around the tidal rivers but as the lycra outfit keeps the sun off and therefore sunburn at bay, it doesn't interfer with diving and it is a safeguard I would wear one anyway.

Old Dec 13th, 2003, 05:17 PM

So far the box jelly fish haven't reached the reef or islands but there's always a first time! As Janese says there's an option of wearing a stinger suit, which isn't a bad idea as severe sunburn is far more probable than a jelly fish sting. Just be guided by the crew of the vessel you choose on the day. Where you are staying will determine which part of the reef you visit - it's 1250 miles long.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 07:36 PM

Hi everyone.
The box jellyfish inhabit the coastal areas. (within one kilometre of the shore generally speaking)
The killer jellyfish you may be referring to are the irukanji. There are a number of small jellyfish that present with irukanji syndrome when people get stung. These little critters are ocean going. usually they are most prevalent when we have had big rain and experience northerly winds. They can cause some pretty nasty reactions, mostly all require hospitalisation.
All the boats have marine stinger first aid kits which are specifically for treatment of these stings. there is a lot of awareness about jellyfish stings since the death of some tourists 2 years ago.
Stinger suits are a great option. they protect you from the possiblity of any stings. The probability of being stung is very remote- like the possibility of winning the lottery, just at the opposite end of the luck scale.
My suggestion is to wear the suits. They protect you from any stings and also most importantly protect you from the sun.