Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

How can I find cheap, last minute fares that airlines have to fill up their seats?

Search

How can I find cheap, last minute fares that airlines have to fill up their seats?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that airlines sometimes sell seats on flights overseas for a much cheaper rate in order to fill the seats on the plane. Anybody know how to get these fares or where to look for them?

Cheers,

gtrekker
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 09:25 PM

Hi, gtrekker2003!

Melodie (our Certified Aussie Expert) will think this is a bit rich -- me recommending you use a travel agent! -- but, from my experience in Australia (this may not be true anywhere else) the best way to get what you seek is to find yourself a good agent, tell the agent exactly what you want, and leave yourself in his/her hands. Unless you want to spend your whole life on the net or connected to the airlines by phone, you are unlikely to find the fares before the agents do. I always deal with one of the larger agencies, because they seem to be offered fares that the other agents don't get, but so that I don't get overlooked, I deal always with the same person. And she has been worth her weight in gold. Of course, I help things along by looking at all the newspaper ads, and if I spot something surprising I get straight onto her... she will always either beat the offer or come up with something better.

The ony other advice I can offer is that if I want to travel, say, to Israel, I walk up and down the agents in the Jewish centre of Sydney... for Italy, the Italian quarter, etc. This worked on at least one occasion.

Good luck!
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 03:25 PM

We've just booked a last-minute holiday to Tasmania from Cairns (we live in Daintree)leaving tomorrow and found great air-fares (plus hotels, specials etc) on www.travel.com.au and also www.zuji.com.au. For instance most fares from Hobart to Cairns were up to AU$400 and we are only paying AU$258 each. If you have the time to look around I think it's definitely worth it but if you don't, as Alan says, a good agent could be the way to go.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might also have some luck with www.bestflights.com.au
They have an email newsletter that has some good specials. Virgin and Qantas also have good last minute e-deals
www.virginblue.com.au
www.qantas.com.au
It's worth joining up for the free email newsletters for special deals.
Kay
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 08:27 AM

Oh Alan, you crack me up! I hope you're giving your agent who's "worth her weight in gold" an occasionally pastry, box of chocolate or a cup of "foofie" coffee as a thank you.

Regards,

Melodie