Search

Hotels in Sydney/Melbourne

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Sydney/Melbourne

I'll be traveling to Australia at the end of the month. I need some suggestions on hotels that are centrally located to both cities. I think I may stay at the Grace Hotel in Sydney. I can get AA miles if I stay at the Radisson on Flagstaff (Melbourne). Anyone have any recommendations?
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 03:20 AM

In Sydney, proximity to Circular Quay is one aspect of being "centrally located". That's because Circular Quay is the transportation hub of the city.

Check out the Holiday Inn - Old Sydney
<http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/...s?irs=null>. They are located in the Rocks, within easy walking distance of Circular Quay. From the rooftop pool, there is a fabulous view of Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. We stayed there 6 nights last year and were very pleased with the location and the genuinely friendly service and attention from the hotel staff. The general manager even gave us a list of her personal restaurant recommendations in the other Australian cities we were planning to visit after leaving Sydney.

If you want those American Airlines FF miles, join Holiday Inn's Priority Club and choose AA miles instead of Holiday Inn points.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:18 PM

The Hotel Lindrum, The Park Hyatt, The Langham and the Westin are all excellent hotels and centrally located. The Radisson on Flagstaff is also well located if you have decided on that and is easy walking distance to Victoria Markets and Lygon St. Carlton for Italian restaurants. The others in my opinion are better located, but then the free downtown tourist tram takes you to most of the top spots. They are the "W" class old trams painted brown and circle the central business district during the day.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:21 PM

All the above are in Melbourne.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Would you happen to know the hours the free tram runs?

Thank you.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 11:14 PM

The Melbourne free City Circle tram runs everyday between 10.00am and 6.00pm and as we are now into daylight saving it runs 10.00am to 9.00pm on Thurs., Fri. and Saturday. Trams run every 12 minutes.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 04:08 PM

We stayed at the Grace Hotel a few years ago, and it was a lovely, beautifully appointed hotel that was centrally located. I would highly recommend it.