Hotel near Franz Joseph or Fox Glacier

Oct 1st, 2001, 10:44 PM
David

Hotel near Franz Joseph or Fox Glacier

Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to stay in either Franz Joseph Township or Fox Glacier, New Zealand (or nearby)? I need a place to stay for 1 night in November, and the only hotels in SABRE are booked (the two Scenic Circle Hotel properties).

Oct 2nd, 2001, 01:30 AM
David

David,
We stayed at the Fox Glacier township three weeks ago for 1 night. As well as the Scenic Circle property there were a number of other motels (4 I think) that all looked very reasonable. The one we stayed in (can't remember the name) was $85 and that was for a two bedroom unit.
Additionally there are many homes and properties close by offering B & B or farmstay so you will have no trouble getting accomodation in November given that that time does not clash with school holidays.

Regards
David

Oct 2nd, 2001, 01:47 PM
sonia

I stayed at the scenic circle place in Franz on my way south and then at a motel when we returned. I thought the scenic circle was a rip off, very basic rooms, no view etc etc.

We stayed at a motel on the way back, but I cant remember the name either! I wouldnt worry though as there are quite a number of them. Get a good guidebook or look at www.purenz.com for details. Iwould thoroughly recommend getting the free AA accomodation guide you can pick up from any hotel/motel in NZ.

Oct 6th, 2001, 02:24 AM
tina

try the alpine motel, behind the gas station in franz josef. we stayed in a large family unit. clean, spacious but not luxurious, if that's what you're looking for. you could probably walk into town in november and find any number of accomodations available. we went in january (high season) and nabbed the last room at the alpine.

Oct 9th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Mary Ann

Hi David

We stayed at the Punga Grove Motor Lodge last November. Very Clean, town house style with kitchenette, sitting area and 2 bedrooms. Walking distance to helicopter rides, cafes, etc. They helped us arrange things. Have a great trip.

Oct 11th, 2001, 09:13 PM
David

Thanks to all for the advice. It seems that November 2001 will be a busy time on the South Island. All of the hotels suggested above were booked. I was able to find a place opening November 13th called the Te Weheka Inn in Fox Glacier Township (more info can be found at http://www.weheka.co.nz/).

I'll be one of the first customers -- I'll post back and let folks know how it goes. Again, thanks for the recommendations.