Search

Horse racing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Bill

Horse racing

<BR>My 3 or 4 week trip to Australia will be scheduled around at least 5 days of going to the races. Melbourne Cup would be too early for beaches down south and too early for a good mid-winter break from U.S. northeast.<BR><BR>I'm interested in thoroughbred racing only, no jumps and no trotters.<BR><BR>What is and when is the #2 race in au? What G1 races would I want to see during Dec 15 - Jan 15, or maybe from Dec 27 through January.<BR><BR>It was easy enough to pick Dantana to win the 1st at Caulfield last Fri night here in U.S. via simulcast. The reprint of an apparently au program had better info than the programs I found in the U.K. back in 1995. I suppose that Caulfield is a minor track since the odds varied quickly and significantly (more so than I would expect in all but the most minor tracks in the U.S.). Dantana was 5/2 when I made my wager at 0 minutes to post, but I got paid 7/2.<BR><BR>I don't suppose y'all have a Royal meet, like Royal Ascot or Epsom on darby day? I would not pass up a day at the races in top hat and morning coat.<BR><BR>If I had one day to go to the races in NZ, where would I go?<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Nick

Second comment on horse racing in 2 days - I was brought up in Perth and the races were my big thing. The number 2 race in Australia would be regarded probably as the Cox Plate - the leading weight for age race. This years race was possibly the best ever Cox Plate - but a big problem for you it is a couple of weeks before the Melbourne Cup and held at Moonee Valley which has to be one of the crappiest courses to hold such a big race - ugly course which is very tight - a bit like US tracks actually, so barrier draw is too much of an issue. caulfield cup has over the years also vied for number 2 position. I was also rather disappointed by Caulfield when there (my Melbourne visit was 1989 so apologies to the courses if they have all been done up - but still could not improve Moonee Valley) as it did not feel like a metropolitan track - more country feel (although I did quite like it for that - just expected more).But that is also before the Melbourne Cup. Flemington is the only course which I rated world class in Melbourne.<BR>So main summer racing - head for Perth for the Perth Cup at Ascot - type in West Australia turf club to get all the details. This year they had a record - near 40000 people I think. Perth's summer course Ascot is a great course for spectator - beautiful grassy areas to wander around and see the horses in their stables (something that lots of courses do not allow in UK or in more limited experience the US). The stand is a bit old and limited, but still one of my 3 favourite courses in the world. Perth Cup (biggest Perth race for social side, only group 2- 2 mile handicap) is on Jan 1st and the 2 weeks before that have good quality racing (number of group races - Railway Stakes is number 2 on Nov 29th last year I think)- not as good as it used to be in the 70s and early 80s when all the top Perth racing was held in the summer carnival during December and finishing on 1st Jan)- but the glory days are gone and Perth racing is quite a bit lower than Sydney or Melbourne for stake money and so on. Part of problem is firm ground (all grass courses) in the summer - lots of Eastern states horses used to get injured while racing in the summer carnival at Perth.<BR>Sydney courses all have good stands, but nothing to beat the charm of Ascot -. I prefer Canterbury to the others, although Randwick is the most important course - all the cars parked in the centre make Randwick not as attractive as it could be. Randwick is very central in Sydney so convenient. Rosehill has a good stand, but horrible views of old factory chimneys. There is some OK racing in Melbourne and Sydney but not real big group races during the summer.<BR>Money being put on the tote in Australia is big -especially Sydney and Melbourne on their local totes (each state runs their own). Australia generally has per person by some measures the biggest betting per person , by others only behind Hong Kong and Japan, so if odds are moving fast at Caulfield and you are seeing Melbourne based odds, it is the bookmakers laying off on the tote. Bookmakers in Oz have the biggest balls - they will take seriously big bets without blinking, unlike the wimps in the UK which are all big public listed companies. (biggest bet ever laid on course up to 1985 was about US$600k in Brisbane at evens, won by a head).<BR>I am going on too long, Email me directly for further information or comparisons needed. Alternatively, internet sites for Randwick, or Austzralian Jockey Club, Rosehill or Sydney Turf Club, Perth - as given, Melbourne - Victoria Racing Club. For New Zealand, Ellerslie is the most important course, but cannot help you there. My limited experience in the US is with Calder Park in Chicago, which I would rate as even worse than Moonee Valley - completely soulless in a truly horrible area.(Arlington was closed that year).

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Prue

Bill,<BR>The AJC in Sydney race at Randwick over the Christmas/New Year period. The major races are the Summer Cup &amp; Villiers Stakes - important, but not great races.<BR>Alternatively the Magic Millions are held in Brisbane during January - they incorporate Yearling Sales and Race Meetings.<BR>The equivalent to Ascot etc. are of course our Derby Day and Melbourne Cup or the Spring or Easter Racing. Carnivals in Sydney.<BR>As Nick suggested you will find lots of information on the Net.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 12:49 PM
Daisy

Actually, Bill, to follow up on Prue's remarks..... I'm not sure whether they'd be considered the &quot;No. 2&quot; racing venue, but if you are on holidays anyway, the Magic Millions might interest you. They are held on the Gold Coast, not in Brisbane. So you'd get to see the yearling sales as well, and be at a beach location for when you were not at the races - a good holiday combination, I reckon!

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 01:29 AM
Graeme

Should point out that one of New Zealands bggest races is held on Ist January(same day as Perth),The Auckland Cup.It is actually a very good 3 day meeting.It could be argued that is good racing every week allover Aussie and NZ.