Search

Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 1998, 05:52 PM
Lynn Asch

Hong Kong

We will be in Hong Kong in ll/98 for 5 days. Any suggestions on hotels, shopping, other activities. Is it worth while to go to Macao.

Old Aug 14th, 1998, 01:44 PM
Les

We stayed at the New World hotel in Kowloon, on the waterfront near the Star Ferry. Nice rooms, beautiful view, good shopping in Kowloon (although we're not shoppers, so I can't recommend specific places). There's also another thread re. hotels in Hong Kong - might be some help there. <BR>We took a day trip (including tour) to Macau - well worth it. Should be easy to arrange from your hotel (although our trip was arranged before we left the States). It's a FULL day, by the time you clear immigration in Hong Kong (going and returning), and take an hour boat ride each way. <BR>Hope this helps. <BR>

Old Aug 29th, 1998, 07:18 AM
Lincoln

<BR>My suggestions on hotel...depending on how much you want to spend. The top hotels are Pennisula(old, colonial style), Grand Hyatt(labelled as a 6 stars), Mandarin(once the best hotel in the world), Regent(got nice view of the HK island). If you wanted some place less expensive...in Kowloon, try Sheraton(Centrally located and recently renovated), Kowloon Hotel(across the street from Sheraton)...in HK island, try The Century Hotel. As for Macau, it's interesting....you got 5 days...why not?

Old Aug 29th, 1998, 07:37 PM
l.martin

I stayed at the Regent and visited the Peninsula and would stay at either one again! Shopping: Stanley Market, the Jade Market, the night market is supposed to be fun. Don't miss visiting Victoria Peak and "Jumbo" the floating restaurant. Go to "Felix's" on top of Peninsula hotel for drinks.

Old Sep 1st, 1998, 09:26 AM
Randy

<BR>I stayed at the Furama last year and had a wonderful experience. It's a good location, easy to the Star Ferry and convenient to the rest of Central district. I would do the Tram ride to the Peak and then walk clockwise around the Peak--the view at the end of the walk of the Harbor, etc. is marvelous! I was disappointed in Stanley Market--it is much more of a tourist trap than in years past. No longer worth the trip. Have fun in whatever you do!

Old Sep 3rd, 1998, 06:25 AM
Veronica Lam

Hotels rated 3* + are all OK in HK. Nearly all of them are centrally located. As the airport has been moved far away from city center, I recommend you to pick one that is linked by the airport express shuttle bus (free of charge). Chech for the homepage of MTR. <BR> <BR>Do not miss the peak, Aberdeen and the Star ferry. Macau is very nice too.

Old Sep 27th, 1998, 12:23 PM
Sue

Spent 6 days in Hong Kong in June <BR>and there's a lot to do and see. <BR>Didn't make it to Macao on the advice <BR>of a friend who is from Kowloon. He <BR>recommended seeing the sights of Kowloon, Hong Kong Island, the markets, <BR>the resturants and some of the trips <BR>inland. For details, see our web site at <BR>http://www.tiac.net/users/fe111/hongkong.html. <BR> <BR>Have a great time! If you love good <BR>Asian food, Hong Kong <BR>is a wonderful culinary experience.