Hobart (Tasmania) What to do with 1/2 day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our ship will be in Hobart on a Monday in late December. Docks at 8am and leaves port at 6 pm. Don't want to do ship arranged tours. Wanted to do Tassie Treetop-airwalk but that seems out of question with alloted time. Is Russell Falls and wildlife park also out of question? We would at least want to walk in a rain forest. What about Bonorong Wildlife park? Would just strolling around Hobart be an interesting experience? Any local buses? Thanks
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 02:42 PM

I suggest you go to google and enter HOBART TASMANIA. It has a plethora of things to see and do.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 09:50 PM

Wandering in & around Hobart is probably not a bad option considering your time. Maybe a tour of the Cadbury (chocolate)or Cascade (beer)facility would be an option. I know Cascade requires a booking - which can be done on line. If you rent a car & hurry a bit you could probably spend a day at Pt. Arthur as another option.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 08:27 PM

Well, according to one site I found, Russell Falls is about 70km west of Hobart and on another,Bonorong Wildlife Park is a 30 min drive north of Hobart towards Richmond.

Personally, given the limited time you have available in Hobart (and I'm amazed that they would schedule such a short stop for your ship, but that's another story!), I would take a leisurely walk around the Constitution Dock/ Battery Point area, there's plenty to see & do around there to keep you interested.

In fact, if you copy this link (http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/h...cfm?SiteID=463) into your browser, then select one of the Hobart based links, they being Historic Church Walks, Hobart Historic Tours, Battery Point Walking Tours or Sandy Bay Historical Society Inc.

Before you go though, make sure you try the freshly caught fish at Constitution Dock ... one of life's most enjoyable pleasures !
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts, New Guy, The freshly caught fish sounds tempting. If we go on the all day tour to Tassy tree-top-airwalk in Huon Valley, the tour agent states that he spoke with bus company and they guarantee they would get us back to ship dock at 5 pm. Talk to you again. Thanks.
Old May 5th, 2004, 02:50 PM

Hi,

You might want to browse over http://www.discovertasmania.com/ (Domain as already quoted)

In the 'getting to and from' section there are links to the two main bus operators. For Mt Field (and the Russell Falls walk, Tassielink leaves at 7AM unfortunately, but Redline offers a compatible Mt Field day tour.

Given your limited time, I would suggest hiring a car - that way you are flexible enough to do what you want, when you want.

Mt Field National Park offers a variety of walks, ranging from 10 mins to full day (or more). Please look at http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/natparks/mtfield/index.html

I'm not sure what the tour operators cover, but certainly, if you got your own car, you could certainly stop off at the Wildlife Park on the way, and do any combination of the short walks (click on activities in that site) to fill out your day.

For 'rainforest walks', I can't really suggest many more that can be done in a day, but the Styx Valley might be worth a look, as might some of the lower Mt Wellington walks (Ferntree to Cascades), which are literally 5 mins drive from the city centre.

Metro ( http://www.metrotas.com.au/ ) is the urban bus operator, and runs services in and around Hobart from very early till late. A Day Rover will cost $3.90AUD and allows unlimited transport on any service for that day.

I hope this helps.