Help with travel from Te Anau to Greymouth

Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with travel from Te Anau to Greymouth

My daughter and I will be doing the Milford Track Jan 9-11, 2005. We will spend the night of the 12 in Te Anau and then go up the west coast ending up in Greymouth to take the TransAlpine to Christchurch. I would appreciate information on how to go up the coast-would a rental car be best or are there buses? Also,I have a read a lot about Lake Moeraki Lodge on this forum. Is this a great place to stay? Is it better to do a helihike at Fox or Franz Joseph? Any other tips for this part of the trip would be appreciated. Thanks for any and all responses! Kris
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 05:22 PM

Hi, Kris,
A lovely part of the country to be driving through, especially at that time of the year.
My husband and I have driven up and down the West Coast on several occasions at this time of the year. It is a long trip for those of us who are familiar with the area! I would recommend catching a bus as there is so much to see. I suspect it would be easier for you to travel to Queenstown or Wanaka, and join a bus there. It will still be a day's trip. If you do decide to hire a rental car plan on stopping overnight somewhere along the way, perhaps Wanaka or even Haast. You will need the time to stop and admire the beautiful contrasting scenery of the West Coast. I'm not sure what time the TranzAlpine leaves Greymouth, but if you do the full trip in one day you would probably have to stay overnight in Greymouth. Check out www.intercitycoach.co.nz for timetables, etc. from Te Anau to Greymouth.
I'm sorry I cannot help with Lake Moeraki Lodge, but I think we might have to investigate it as I too have read all the wonderful info about it, nor do I know anything about helihiking.
You do not say how long you have between leaving Te Anau and needing to arrive in Christchurch. If you can it would be worthwhile driving north from Greymouth to Punakaiki - the Pancake Rocks. Quite an awesome sight.
If you have the time to drive leisurely up the coast then certainly hire a car. It will give you the freedom to stop at various places the buses may not stop at, and to investigate interesting signposts - something we often do.
Whatever you decide, do enjoy the trip. It will be NZ school holidays at that time so I strongly recommend booking ASAP as many Kiwis travel around during the summer holidays.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 06:27 PM
ALF

Have a great time on the Milford Track! I hope the weather holds for you - it very well might at that time of year.

Inter-City Coachlines can get you from Te Anau to Greymouth, with changes in Queenstown and the Glaciers (http://www.intercitycoach.co.nz/timetables.html). They will sell you a West Coast Bus Pass for about NZ $100, or it might be possible to do it a bit cheaper if you buy individual segments. If you are pressed for time, you might want to consider hiring a car instead - as Dotty pointed out, you will have a lot more flexibility.

Heli-hiking is a great way to do a spectacular higher-altitude hike in one day, provided you can afford it, and the weather cooperates. Otherwise, you can take a guided walk up onto the lower end of either Franz Josef or Fox.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 07:40 PM

As well as the main I
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 07:56 PM

geez - there must be a button somewhere that I catch by mistake!! I will start again ...

As well as the main intercity coach there are lots of shuttles (privately run 12 seater mini buses, or thereabouts) zipping between the towns and cities in NZ. I used one of these from Te Anau as far as Haast, and again up to Fox. From there to Greymouth I went with IC via FJ - book in advance for discounts.

The train journey from Greymouth to Christchurch is wonderful - hope you enjoy it too.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 02:30 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
LittleNell -

We spent two wonderful nights at Lake Moeraki Wilderness Lodge several years ago and we loved it.

We took a helihike out of Fox Glacier two years ago. I haven't taken a helihike from Franz Josef, but I would imagine they're very similiar.

Have fun.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your responses. I think if my daughter will drive we will hire a care and take our time up the coast to see as much as possible. I really appreciate your prompt and informative responses! Thanks! Kris