Search

Help With Australia Trip and Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2003, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help With Australia Trip and Restaurants

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are planning on spending three weeks in Australia in December? I will list my trip plans any good ideas or great restaurants would be greatly appreciated.

4 nights at Silky Oaks
2 Cairns to go white water rafting
4 Nights at Heron Island on the Great Barrier Reef

4 Nights in Melbourne at the Duxton Hotel does anybody know anythign about this hotel. Please help with restaurants and activities?

2 nights hunter valley the wine country at the tower lodge

5 nights sydney at the marriott. I will be in sydney on christmas day - dec 30. what is open on xmas.

Thanks for all yuor help in advance. I need guidance.

Best regards,

Jonathan Wolk
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 04:37 AM

Three suggestions:
In Melbourne have dinner on the Tramcar Restaurant - it's a little touristy but very special (www.tramrestaurant.com.au)
In Sydney you have to, have to, have to climb the bridge! (www.bridgeclimb.com.au)
I found Citysearch very useful in tracking down restaurants in Australia.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 04:50 AM

Hi, jwolk!
On Christmas day, just about everything in Sydney is closed, but the ferries are still running, and there are lots of great walks around the harbour, so you won't be wasting any time! And, of course, there are always the beaches!

On Boxing Day most shops and businesses are still closed, though one or two are now starting their post-Christmas sales on that day. For most shops, however, December 27 is the first day of trading, and for the next few days Sydneysiders do all their Christmas shopping for NEXT Christmas!

Try to stay in Sydney for December 31; the 9 p.m. and again at midnight fireworks around the harbour foreshores are something to see. If you have a room at the Marriott in Pitt St (I think it is called "Marriott on the Harbour" or something like that, to distinguish it from the other one at the back of Hyde Park), then you are in a prime position for some of the best fireworks displays right there from your hotel. It would be a shame to move on a day too early!
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the suggestions. unfortunately, i have to get back to california for new years.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 12:17 PM

Alan's correct - most things will close in Sydney on Christmas Day! <except churches > Despite everything - this is still basically a Christian country.

Hotels and some other restaurants do lunches and dinner, but usually pretty expensive, with special menus! There may be some things in Chinatown open for more normal food.

Walking, beaches, etc., are your best options. Or - you could rest up for the sales!