Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Help a groom plan a perfect beach honeymoon!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time user of these forums -- they're great!

Here's the situation: since she has enough work to do this year, I'm in charge of planning the honeymoon! It will be the last two weeks in October, 2009. Here are the requirements:
1.) Must have: Tropical
2.) Must have: Romantic (obviously!)
3.) Must have: We'd really love to stay in one of those huts on stilts out over the water
4.) Great to have: Food and spa options
5.) Great to have: Mindless, where we won't feel guilty for not being "touristy" and visiting local museums/ruins/siteseeing attractions.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Thank you,
Mike
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 04:26 PM

Which country, Mike?
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 04:55 PM

Sounds like a Tahiti, Thai, Malaysian, Fijian or Cook Islands resort Mike, possibly Bali which could be got easy enough from Australia.

But near end of October, Asian locations could be having their wet season, Bali's coming on and warmish so best to probably stick with Pacific Islands.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 01:24 AM

Um maybe Mauritius?
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 02:39 AM

where are you located?
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Hi and thanks everyone! To answer your questions:

We're open to any country. We would like to try to avoid rainy areas, yes. We'll be coming from New York City.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 06:40 PM

I see you have posted this same question under the Caribbean and Mexico/Central America boards, and have also supplied the information that your budget is US$5,000. Is that also the case for a trip to Asia? Does that include airfare for two people? Because if that is the case, IMO, after deducting airfare for two, the budget you would have left will probably exclude the more luxurious places (e.g. the over-water bungalows), esp as you want two weeks. Even supposing you could get round-trip economy fares for US$1,000 per person, with say a 12-night honeymoon, you would have about US$250 per night for room <u>and</u> all othe expenses like meals, transport, taxes, etc. While not a bad budget, you have to include food (I assume some wine and champagne would be involved too), spa treatments, room tax (up to 15% in many of the Asian countries), local transport, etc. All this may be a tough one at an over-water bungalow type resort. It may be possible at a slightly lower end resort, but those may not include over-water bungalows in Fiji or Tahiti, which are expensive.

October is also going to be a tricky month weather-wise in SE Asia as there are two monsoons moving in the area and so most of Thailand is not really great beach weather, and Vietnam is worse. While of course you could go to Phuket and have beaitufl weather, you could go to Phuket and have overcase skies with mid-day showers for the whole two weeks, and that is a <i>long</i> way to go to sit on a cloudy beach. IMO you want to go where at least historically the odds of good weather are with you. See weatherbase.com and other sights for information.

My first thought is the Philippines, which at the end of October is just coming out of the rainy season and should be good. Specifically I would recommend El Nido in Palawan, which has two hotels (including some water bungalows), but they won't be like 5 star luxury hotels. Travel there involves a flight to Manila, then a light plane trip of about an hour, then a boat trip of about 45 minutes. See http://www.elnidoresorts.com/. It’s very beautiful and relaxing: there is nothing to do there but sand, snorkel, dive, kayak, beach, etc. They have a small spa and good massage facilitiy. No towns, shopping, restaurants, etc. If you wanted to spend a day or two in Manila on the way out or back you could do that, or if budget permits and flights work out, spend time in Hong Kong. This hotel may be outside your budget (but price includes all meals), but there are other resorts in Palawan and the Phillipines generally, do a search. I just know this one because I have been to it.

Bali is an option, but no over water bungalows there as far as I know. Weather is good in October, although it is just coming into the rainy season toward the end of October, but you won’t get downpours like you can get in other places (i.e., Vietnam). However, I think you probably <i>would</i> feel guilty, IMO, going to Bali and doing nothing but sitting on a beach, and the beaches are not the point of Bali. While pretty, they are not spectacular by any means and not what Bali is about. I think Bali would be a fantastic place for a honeymoon if you wanted some cultural activities, and if you can forego the idea of the water bungalows and if you adjusted your hotel expectations perhaps. You could also look into house rental where you can find some value for money and nice places in that budget. I can provide some links, also try vrbo.com for a start.

I love the Maldives, but in late October you would be in the rainier season, and with airfare I am not sure that you could do it with that budget. They certainly have the water bungalows (that is all they have), and there is nothing to do but sit on stunning beaches, snorkel, spa, read and eat. No museums or sights.