Help!

Sep 3rd, 2005, 10:09 PM
Original Poster

Help!

Hi dear everyone, I have got a small problem with my planning in QLD and will be great if hear your suggestion (it's a small problem but I just keep thinking about it!)I have heard so many wonderful comments about Pete's bushwalk trip, so I have booked a tour with him on a Tuesday in late October. The problem is that I'm staying in Cairns (near Crystal Cascade) the previous night and suppose to change to another hotel (which I haven't book yet) on that day. I am wondering if it will be ok if we drive from Crystal Cascade to Port Douglas early in that morning so that we can arrive before 8am as that is the pick-up time, try to check-in early or at least leave the car with the hotel in Port Douglas before Pete's pick-up? (I probably will book into a Port Douglas hotel which I haven't book yet, so I don't need to drive all the way to Cairns after the tour with Pete) Will it be very rush? Your comment will be very useful, thanks a lot!!
Sep 3rd, 2005, 11:54 PM

You'd need to allow at least 40 minutes to get to Port Douglas, and if you are not familiar with the area, leave another 30 minutes to get lost (that's if you are like us). You could probably leave your car in the hotel carpark and check in when you get back from your tour as if you go to reception to check in, that will take extra time.
It's going to be a very early start.
Incidentally, if you are staying near Crystal Cascades, make sure you take time to do the walk along the cascades.
Sep 4th, 2005, 05:04 AM

Marg is right, Crystal Cascades is lovely, like Mossman Gorge without the tour buses. Marg, you probably got lost by turning right at Kamerunga Rd, instead of going straight through, lots do.

Yaan,it takes me about 50 mins from Nutmeg Grove to PD - all you do is follow the only road out of Crystal Cascades; at Redlynch you'll see the Red Beret pub on your right, don't turn right, just cross railway line right in front of you and go as far as you can before you have to merge left into road which will take you eventually past Tjakupai and Skyrail on your left. Just past those, there's a roundabout on Capt Cook Highway, turn left and stay on this road until you turn right off highway at Port Douglas.

Am sure your accommodation there will keep your luggage in reception and Pete B can pick you up at wherever you're staying - PD is quite small and he'd know how to find you.
Sep 5th, 2005, 08:19 PM

Hi Pat,
Believe me, we could get lost in a paper bag - at least we have accidentally seen some great places whilst lost.
Marg.
Sep 6th, 2005, 12:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Pat and Marg for the information, I'll definitely take a walk at Crystal Cascade! But I give up to pre-book Pete's tour as think maybe it's better to remain the flexibility instead of rushing in early morning, and worry about it all the time..