Heli -Hike and kayaking advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heli -Hike and kayaking advice needed

Hey,
I needed some advice on ..
1]Heli hike fox or franz?is it difficult?
2]kayaking in abel tasman one whole day is enough?and if so which is the best location?
3]glenorchy dart river is it scenic?
Thank you all in advance please give me some suggestions.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 09:44 AM
ALF

1) Very much worth it, as long as there is decent weather. Not super difficult, but there is some uphill walking on snow. Then again, you can quit whenever you feel like it and just enjoy the view.

2. One day is enough to enjoy the experience, although overnight is always better. The area between Torrent Bay and Bark Bay is really nice. You can get yourself and your kayak delivered there by water taxi.

3. Never been.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi ,ALF ty which one franz or fox?
and abel tasman area between torrent bay and bark bay how far is it from awaroa lodge? Is kayaking difficult ?we have never done it before.
ty
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 03:58 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Marsha -

We absolutely loved the Dart River Safari - YES it's incredibly scenic! It's not as much a thrill ride as the Shotover Jet - it's more about the scenery, with a few spins thrown in.

We've also done a helihike on Fox Glacier with Fox Apline Guides - I found it very tame and the views were fantastic as we were there on a beautiful clear day. I doubt there's much difference between the two helihikes.

It takes about 30 minutes by water taxi to go from Awaroa Lodge to Bark Bay.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Hi,ty so much melnq8 ,one more question are milford sound and doubtful sound diff?should we do both or??
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 05:23 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Marsha -

I've only seen Milford, so can't give a first hand comparison with Doubtful. I was just in Milford a few weeks back and asked this very question of an English couple who had taken both cruises - they said they preferred Doubtful because it was more remote - they also said it was quite a bit different than Milford.

Perhaps if you start a new thread you'll get some responses from posters who've done both.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 05:11 AM

Dear Marsha~ We have taken both the Milford and Doubtful Sound cruises several times. We have not done the overnight, which many posters rave about. They are both spectacular, unbelievably remarkable and worth doing. We LOVED to kayak with Roscoe's on Milford Sound. After which, we took the late afternoon boat out. The weather was so spectacular, we could not deny ourselves, even though we had alreay done it three times. Do not rush this stunning part of NZ.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi ty wannaba kiwi,for helping me make a decission since i had an extra day i was debating if i should go for cruise on the doubtful sound but needed answers if milford and doubtful were diff .
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 07:16 AM
ALF

I much prefer Doubtful, because it is so much more remote. The trip is more costly and time-consuming, because to get there you have to take a boat across Lake Manapouri, then a bus to Doubtful, where you pick up another boat. Still, I think it is worth the extra time and money. If you can afford to go overnight, that would be the best of all.

As for Fox vs. Franz Josef, it doesn't matter. Both of these glaciers diverge from the same larger ice mass at higher altitude. So, either way, you are heading toward the same place.

The kayaking is not usually difficult, but you can face wind and some currents. If both are going with you, it is a total joy, but the odds are that at least for a while you may have to paddle against at least one of these. The wind picks up in the afternoon, so it is best to get out as early as possible. As noted above, the water taxi will not take more than a half-hour. If you have never kayaked before, you should get a little instruction from the rental company. There are also many guided trips if you are concerned about your skills:
http://www.abeltasmankayaks.co.nz/ka...ded-day-tours/