Great Barrier Reef

Dec 15th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Great Barrier Reef

Flying to Sydney Jan15 for 2 weeks only. I want to snorkle on The Great Barrier Reef.
Will it be worth the extra cost to fly to Cairns or is it just as nice without going as far like to between Gladstone and Mackay?
Thanks
Dec 15th, 2004, 10:05 PM

Look on www.qantas.com.au as Qantas has just announced some new cheap fairs over the holidays and I think you would find that its cheaper to go to Cairns than it is to go to Gladstone ( darn side better anyway).
Dec 15th, 2004, 10:06 PM

I really should proof read my emails etc - cheap fairs indeed!!! I mean cheap fares.
Dec 15th, 2004, 10:12 PM

From January 18th its $132 one way Sydney to Cairns and $145 to Mackay - I would get on the Net ASAP as these will not last. Forget Gladstone as that will cost a lot more as it is off the main routes.
Dec 17th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much Liz for the info. I found flights on Quantas for 156.00 Sydney to Cairns so will book that shortly.
Dec 17th, 2004, 02:43 PM

Also try these others as there is a 'sale' on at the moment.
Dec 17th, 2004, 02:45 PM

I always forget to click the attachment:

see:
www.qantas.com.au
www.virginblue.com.au
www.jetstar.com.au
Dec 21st, 2004, 10:12 AM
MD

Don't know about the other locations, but GBR near Cairns is amazing. (Mind you, it's the only reef I've visited...).

We were so impressed last December that we bought an underwater case for our digital camera for this trip. (best pics are nearest the surface while snorkelling).

You will find reef trip prices vary; especially if you want to scuba. (We used Compass for overnight www.reeftrip.com and Reef Magic last year for a day trip - www.reefmagic.com.au.) Compass is a slow and "used" boat going out, but the overnight boat they connect with was great. Also, these two included all equipment in their trips (except the wetsuit- optional in 25C water... )Some others (If I recall, from the Quicksilver brochure) were adding various equipment as extras - but then, have a high-speed cat to get you there faster for an hour or two extra on the reef.

Yes, in 2 days I saw untold varities of fish in all sizes, a (small) shark, a ray, a turtle (Others saw several) a school of squid, giant clams, etc.

Wally the giant wrasse is about 4 feet long and 2 feet high and swims up to the divers to be petted.
Dec 21st, 2004, 05:04 PM

MD - Wally the Wrasse is quite a favourite, he's been hanging around the dive boats for years. Your liveaboard was probably Reef Encounter - a good and inexpensive dive boat, but its a pity about old Compass, a slow way to get to the liveaboard.

Reef Magic used to be tremendous value, especially when they threw in a free intro dive. I liked it better when they moved about reef, picking best sites of the day. Because of tourist demand, particularly European, they've spent many $$'s on a fixed pontoon - hence the price hike. It was AU$115 including intro dive, now is AU$140 + 1st intro dive AU$60 - 2nd dive AU$40. Tusa Dive is now better value for a day dive trip, and it still goes to different reef sites.