GOR 2 nights stopovers- suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2023, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve been looking into the various options for our November trip which is covered on my Melbourne / Adelaide query. I am now thinking of changing my GOR itinerary slightly to avoid changing hotels every night, so I want to look at least one 2 night stay..

We are both in our early 70s and regularly do a 300 mile trip in the uk in a day, so are ok spending 5-6 hours driving (with stops) if necessary. We are not into hiking as my partner has slight respiratory problems but like wandering round small towns (avoiding steep hills or steps) and stopping for coffee or a beer and something to eat. We also enjoy scenic drives on coastal/country roads (hairpin bends are not a problem).

The original plan was
Leave Melbourne
1 night Apollo Bay
1 night Port Fairy
1 night Robe
1 night Barossa.
Arrive Adelaide

I’m now thinking
2 nights Port Campbell, 2 nights Robe. Or
1 night Apollo Bay, 2 nights Port Fairy, 1 or 2 nights Robe

Any advice would be appreciated including alternative suggestions for the stopovers
Old Jun 18th, 2023, 02:38 PM

I'd go for your second option. Being locals, we've travelled to all your choices and I think Port Fairy has more to offer the visitor than Port Campbell, and Robe is definitely worth a two night stay. Both Port Fairy and Robe have multiple options for accommodation and food, and both are pretty places to wander around.
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments. In fact when browsing the Visit Great Ocean Road website I’ve now spottedhttps://visitgreatoceanroad.org.au/explore/experiences/foodies/4-great-pubs-along-the-great-ocean-road/

It gives some info about famous pubs/ breweries on route, which are will make my partner, who is a Geordie, very happy.

I’ve decided to increase our time by 1 night and stay both sides of GOR for 2 nights so can then look around from there. We also want to try to see some of the wildlife on route and that will give some time for that too. Tips for this without hiking would be helpful.

So we will opt for a slight variation on our original choices and add a fifth night.

2 nights Apollo Bay, 2 nights Port Fairy, 1 night Robe
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 02:53 PM

Have a look at a map of Victoria and see if you can fit in a detour to the Grampians. We've always seen a variety of wildlife there and the scenery is spectacular with good walking tracks, short and long. Halls Gap is the main centre and has a variety of accommodation and places to eat.
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Hello Marg,
I did look at the Grampians but my partners respiratory problems mean he is best walking on the flat over short distances, so we decided against it this trip.
Old Jun 23rd, 2023, 11:43 PM

your second idea is good. Don't forget to call in at Kennett River which is 31 kms before Apollo Bay to see the paroots and the koalas -its lovely even for us Aussies and its on the way.
Timboon is a 2 hour drive off fthe GOR..
Chris,s at Beacon Point is a beautiful restaurant not far off the main road.
Fresh fish n chips from the Apollo bay Fishermens Co op .
Old Jun 25th, 2023, 12:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank for the tip about Kennet River. We definitely want to see koalas.