Lizard Island -- real costs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2003, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I'm planning a 3-week honeymoon to Australia in late Sept/early October 2004, and we want to possibly end the trip with 3 nights at Lizard Island. I've read all the posts praising this resort....now I'm trying to figure out if it is truly worth the cost. It seems like it would be about $1200 (USD) per night, for the 2 of us. Does that sound right? $3600 USD for 3-nights is hard to reconcile, but if it truly is worth that cost...we might go for it. Also, what did the diving end up costing at Lizard Island? Anyone have ideas of a less-expensive but still amazing spot that I can look into? Thanks!
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 04:55 PM

Beachgirlz,
You are a lucky, lucky girl. If you can afford it - go for it...
Lizard Is. is probably the most exclusive (read..expensive) island on the east coast of Aust, but from all accounts, you get what you pay for..
Sorry, but mere mortals like myself, have never been there....so cannot vouch for its value for money.
From what I understand, the daily tariff is all-inclusive, and it would be of a very high quality. (Remember this is the place where movie/rock stars, rich and famous, go to veg. out). The island only caters for a set (small) number of guests. So you are paying for that privacy....and you never know who you would be bumping into...

Other alternatives that may be worth looking at include:

Bedarra Island - has a set limit on guests; Aimed at the exclusive private luxury end of the market. All-inclusive tariff; and no children.

http://www.heronisland.com/accom.htm - I think Heron has recently added some new accommodation aimed at those wanting more privacy - but the island also caters for families. Caters for eco-experiences as well...

Hayman Is - always a favourite for honeymooners.
Daydream Is - A bit more relaxed - great for Family holidays
Lindeman Is - a Clubmed resort.
Fraser Is (Search for "Kingfisher Bay Resort" on Fraser Is).

Hamilton Island has a fairly new "Beach Club" - which seems very nice - but I don't care much for Hamilton....

But - if you have the cash, Lizard Is promises the most....

Not sure about diving costs - There are reputable dive operators right up the Queensland coast offering a range of experiences. If you can, try picking somewhere that isnt too trampled by tourists. Some of the best diving can be had at the southern end of the GBR at Lady Elliot Is. (off the coast from Bundaberg). They do have accommodation, but this is more of an eco-holiday than a romantic/pampered honeymoon destination.

Have a great time what ever you decide.
Lori
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 06:40 PM

We had 3 nts on Daydream Island in August this year and loved it. Kids reign in school holidays but we had mostly couples (old & young). The food was magic, beaches divine and $A1000 for all our meals and accom in rainforest room was great value. If I could afford Lizard I would do it. Has an awesome reputation for the very best island resort in Oz. You only honeymoon once they say! Check out poresorts.com for deals or luxurylink.com in US. I've seen deals of $A1400 per room per night (Jan-Feb 2003) so it sounds to me like you'd be paying too much, maybe. Also check out wilson island-looks amazing and run by P&O resorts as well as Lizard.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Janese

I was under the impression that everything is included on Lizard - maybe I am wrong.
Another nice get-a-way in Hinchinbrook Island which also has a limit on the number of guests. It is a large island and therefore you have about 20 square miles per person but I doubt it has a lot of extras. Hayman is my choice when Lizard is too expensive OR the Princess cruises which go from Cairns to Townsville and call into some wonderful little coral cays en route for some of the absolute best diving and snorkling on the reef and which have only a small number of people. However there are many, many options and not least of all is the opportunity to rent a yacht or a cat at the Whitsundays and just do your own thing around the 80 or so islands. I would think that spending a day on a beautiful uninhabited island a wonderful way to go - pick a different one each day or join in the activities on many of the other islands around.
I do not like anything south of the Whitsundays as you are getting out of the tropics and out of the real areas of the reef and if you are going to go to the reef you may as well go to the best of it.

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 10:50 AM

The daily rate seems quite a bit higher than we paid two years ago. The resort is all inclusive EXCEPT for liquor, diving, excursions, etc. It was truly a fine spot (though we were there on 9/11 which greatly diminished the fun).
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 06:00 AM

I was just at Lizard for my honeymoon a week ago and it was fantastic. We stayed 3 nights throught buying their Remarkable Rainforest and Reef package which included 3 night at Silky Oaks. It was fantastic. Included all transportation also....look at the cost of the flight there separately and it is very expensive. We had the private car transfers and chartered private flights also in the package. Cost a lot, but it was truly a romantic experience we both won't soon forget.

As far as diving costs, you can see them on the website. Every activity that isn't "do it yourself" costs something and you should look into it before you go so you are not stuck once you get there.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 06:31 PM

Hello. I just returned from a 3-week honeymoon on Hayman, Bedarra, and Lizard. Lizard Island is truly spectacular and is very much worth the cost and effort. Hayman was beautiful, but, in our opinion, did not reach the level of quality that was found on Bedarra and Lizard. I encourage you to examine the P&O Resorts website to answer some questions on diving costs, etc. The staff were fantastic (especially the crew at the Beach Club) and the food was magnificent! We stayed in an Anchor Bay Suite and also a few days in The Pavillion. Believe me, it is worth every cent!!! Don't overlook Bedarra, either. It is the ultimate island indulgence and the staff and cuisine are remarkable! If I can be of further assistance, please let me know. The info provided by the folks on this forum helped me plan my trip, too.