Best national park around Sydney

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2017, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Visiting Sydney in June end and staying for 4 nights. We then plan to spend 2-3 nights in and around sydney in aNational park before heading to Gold Coast

Our interest are Beautiful green scenery, lakes, waterfalls, east hiking, pleasant/cold weather(as we are from a hot city), cloudy conditions with clouds touching us(maybe that would make things invisible) . We would love nature and would like to see it at its fullest

Thanks
Old Apr 13th, 2017, 02:16 PM

Are you driving or flying between Sydney and the Gold Coast? The closest national park to Sydney that is easily accessible is the Blue Mountain; the weather will be unpredictable at that time of year. There are also parks between Sydney and the Gold Coast as well as around the Gold Coast.
Old Apr 13th, 2017, 07:28 PM

There are many options, especially if you make the journey by car so you are independent and can visit those locations that are too far from Sydney to make them day-trips.

Google the terms > NSW National Parks Hiking < and dig in, and always stay aware of the distances.

About day-trips: In June the days are very short, the sun goes down before 5PM! Don't get lost and fall behind schedule on your hikes, there will be hardly any other hikers at that time of the year, not only because of the short days, but also because of the often inclement weather and the lack of mother nature's cooperation - the landscapes don't look at their best in the middle of winter.

In other words, keep your fingers crossed and bring cold-weather gear and safety commonsense.
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you

The initial idea is to fly between Sydney and GD but if there is something better to explore in between the 2 cities then we won't mind the drive at all

We had Blue mountain in mind but we don't find BMW in the top national parks of Australia but we do see that visitors do choose. Any particular reason ?

Would appreciate some insight or recommendation which are better than BM and close or between Sydney and GD
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 05:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The Blue Mountains are lovely -- lots of hikes for all levels. They are not the Alps, but very pretty. We were there in March, have no idea what they would be like in the winter.
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Anyone has any idea how the BM would be and feel in winters i.e July
Old Apr 18th, 2017, 01:51 PM

I used to travel to Katoomba often for work (while living in Sydney for many years), in all seasons and weather. In July you are gambling heavily, the odds of having a good day up there are against you. Rain, fog and clouds, cold temperatures, nasty winds - they are more likely than sunny clear days, and even the occasional sunny clear days are very short and range from cool to downright chilly.

Head north, from about Lismore on you have better chances at having fun.
Old Apr 18th, 2017, 06:10 PM

The Blues Mountains have Christmas in July with Santa etc, it used to be quite popular, not sure now, the promotions I have seen have been extortionate but it would be a novelty

Personally I've never been particularly impressed with the national parks on the east coast, I much prefer the coastal walks close to the city
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 12:10 AM
Original Poster

Michelle
Thank you for your input and I think I have got the right reply

In my post I did mention that we are from a hot city, where winters are minimal, cloudy conditions are least and no fog at all & as everyone would agree that "the climate/weather conditions u don't get at yoir place you love most"

We have the same thought here, we would love to be in foggy conditions, breathing and touching the clouds, some rain and cold temperatures. I know that the heavy rain will not allow us to do outdoor activities, so does it rain heavy and long durations ?

I also understand that with clouds and foggy conditions the views may not be the best, but these are also things that I guess we would love for these 2 night stay

& last but not the least , during our USA trip in 2016 we loved the scenic drive rides (skyline drive - Shenandoah national park) & as suggested that the BM drive is scenic as well, so I believe this is another reason to choose BM
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 10:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The problem with fog and rain is you don't really see scenery- you see nothing if the fog is dense which can be cool for a bit. But after awhile is not as interesting. Driving in fog esp can be treacherous.