GBR without getting wet

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GBR without getting wet

Hello,
My husband and I don't snorkle or dive. We'd like to see the GBR and wonder what would be the best tour to take for non-swimmers. We are considering the Great Adventures tour that takes you out to a multi-level pontoon. Any other suggestions?
Thanks.
Barbara
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 05:28 PM

Hi Barbara. If you don't want to get wet, Quiksilver might be a good option for you. They have a huge pontoon and an underwater viewing boat. I can't quite remember but I think they also offer helicopter rides from the pontoon.

Have fun, Pumblechook
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We did a reef trip with Quicksilver and there were lots of people who didn't get wet. There was a buffet lunch on the pontoon, a semi-submersible which toured around the reef area to see the coral etc. You are completely enclosed in this and get a good view. There's also an underwater observatory where you walk down some stairs and there is a glass viewing area to see the fish etc. There was also fish feeding. All this was included in the price. Helicopter tours were available and were extra cost.
Even if you are non-swimmers but you want to get in the water, you could wear a life-vest (I did because I'm not that confident in deep water) and hang on to the rope that marks the area that all snorkellers must stay within. There are staff who's job it is just to keep an eye on everyone in the water.
Kay
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 10:30 AM
JP

Great Adventures also have underwater viewing from both the pontoon and a semi-submersible boat.

As Kay says, you don't really have to be a swimmer to do a little snorkeling.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 07:21 PM

Hello Barbara: I live in Cairns and have been to Reef with most operators. Ocean Spirit to Michaelmas Cay is by far my favourite (www.oceanspirit.com.au)- it's a lovely motor/sailer catamaran which doesn't overcrowd - also has semi-submersible and very easy snorkelling off sand cay (rather than pontoon) as someone else said you don't have to be much of a swimmer to snorkel - fins make you very buoyant.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the suggestions. I looked at the Ocean Spirit cruise and it does look like it might be our best choice. We can't wait.
Barbara