GBR or Blue Mountins

Old Jul 19th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GBR or Blue Mountins

Sydney Oct 5,6, 7,8. I also want to see the Blue Mountains, and a trip to Australia, everyone is telling me, needs to include the Great barrier Reef. I wish i had more time,but my employer doesn't agree! Should I fly north to the Reef on Tues, Oct. 9 and spend 2 nights (accomodations recommendatons appreciated)and then to the Blue Mountains for an additional day and night, flying home to the US on Friday. Or, should I simply stay closer to Sydney in the BM's and remove the Reef from my radar screen? Too much to see and too little time. Thanks to all!
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 09:22 AM
ALF

The Blue Mtns are certainly quite scenic, but are not world-class like the Great Barrier Reef. If you can afford it, I would fly to Cairns/Port Douglas and take a boat out to the Reef. You could even stay overnight on an anchored pontoon.

You could get a taste of the Blue Mtns in less than one day. Drive or take the train to Katoomba, then hike a couple of trails and/or take the tram down into the valley.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 10:19 AM

Oh, if you can, go to the GBR and the rainforest. We love to snorkel, so the GBR was a "given." Accommodation recs--try www.lilybank.com.au for a B&B run by a Fodorite Pat W., AND listed as Frommer's best. She will help you with a GBR trip and a trip to the Daintree or even closer by Atherton for a day. You can go out of Cairns to Reef Magic which has a pontoon and various other options if you aren't a snorkeler (but try it, it's addicting!) or another place Pat recommends in a sailing boat where you can snorkel from the shore. The Blue Mountains are great, but actually aren't mountains but eroded plateau and not "in your face awesome" like the GBR and Daintree. We're going in October, too, and everyone has said that that is the best time for the reef and the weather should be great (although with the crazy weather they have been having lately, nothing is a given.) Good luck in planning and I know you'll have a great time no matter what you plan. Australia is a great country!
Sally in Seattle
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 01:54 PM

Pajodeka~ I have to agree with the previous posts. the Blue Mountains are nice, but you will not regret additional time in the GBR. Also, consider staying in Port Douglas instead of Cairns. The boats go out of there just as easily and you miss the crowded and touristy town of Cairns.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 03:20 PM

In case you aren't already convinced, skip the Blue Mountains, spend the time on the reef. As well as going out from Cairns or Port Douglas, you can stay directly on the reef on one of the coral islands (Lizard, Green, Lady Eliot, Heron).
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Hands down, GBR. While the Blue Mountains are nice, GBR is fabulous. Daintree is way better than the Blue Mountains. I have been to the BM once, GBR/Daintree three times.