GBR in Feb and other questions?

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GBR in Feb and other questions?

Folks,

My wife and I, both in our late 50s will be spending 8 days in Australia visiting our Grad std. son who is there for the semester. Our trip is set for Feb. 14-24, 2007. He is in Sydney and we plan to spend 3-4 days there. Side trip considered was a day trip to Blue Mountains.

The three of us, all pretty active, were going to go to GBR until we read about the weather. None of us are great swimmers so diving is out. An alternative to the GBR that has been mentioned is a visit to Adelaide and Kangaroo Island. As New York City surburb folks, we think we want to see the wildlife of the country.

Your thoughts on the above and other recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 11:46 PM

Personally, I'd be going to Adelaide & Kangaroo Island in February. The GBR will be hot and humid and for wildlife Kangaroo island is much better (unless it's the undersea variety you enjoy!).
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 04:29 AM

Kangaroo Is is nice for sure as there is plenty of variety all parcelled up in a (relatively) small space.

It really depends what you want to do. Obviously swimming is not a must have.

Some other places for your consideration:

Tasmania - if you want to hire a car and tour about. Some great walks and Nat Parks. Also depends where you are from and where you may have been before.

Great Keppel Island near Rockhampton if you want to go to one place and walk some - easy - and swim some - lovely beaches. But it is a continental island so not much in the way of coral. It is very laid back, and one of my favourite places.

Or you could keep going after the Blue Mts - ie do a road trip for the fun of it. No places that will be on a must see list, but plenty of interest. A good one if you are into history, and if you do a southern loop you could check out Jervis Bay for the Nat Park there and kangaroos on the beach.

You could, of course, go to Uluru. But it will be hot.

Can think of others but not knowing your level of curiosity or need for comfort, I'll leave it at that.

Happy researching, and happy travels.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 05:06 AM

Don't think it can't be stinking hot in Adelaide in Feb - different summer heat to Far North Qld with far less humidity. I would not discount GBR in Feb, it will certainly be humid, which makes utterly no difference to a reef trip, yes, there is a likelihood of rain which only makes the rainforest better. Snorkelling or diving don't demand great swimming skills, and all reef operators are well aware of visitor's limitations and will give all help and guidance necessary.

The tropical rainforests of FNQ are home to an enormous amount of wildlife other than the marine life of GBR, which you'd have to go a long way to beat. Birdwatchers from all over the world come to this area, there's cassowaries, crocodiles, tree kangaroos, tropical butterflies, platypus, and much more, plus a range of different habitats over a relatively small area which harbour a much bigger selection of species than you'd find on Kangaroo Island. The area is unique in Australia for having two adjoining World Heritage areas, the Great Barrier Reef and Wet Tropics Rainforest. For an idea have a look at www.wildwatch.com.au where naturalist guide Jonathan Munro will find you an immense amount of wildlife.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 03:30 PM

May I respectfully suggest that MaryK does some research on the wildlife of North Queensland and also the wildlife of Kangaroo Island. I think that perhaps she has not been interested enough in wildlife or her own country to find out what exactly the North has to offer. There is about 100 times the bird species in North Queensland compared to Kangaroo Island, about 25 times the animal life as well, if not more. There are unique species in North Queensland that are not found anywhere else in Australia i.e tree kangaroo, Lemuriod possums, Cous Cous (sp???) to name just three. There are Naturalists who can take you to the areas where these animals are and you will see them. The rain forests are abundant with wild life and as Pat says if there has been rain then the likelihood of seeing more animals is enhanced.
As for February and the GBR v Kangaroo Island, Pat is quite right when she said that in South Australia it can get HOT - like 110F degrees is quite normal in summer if not hotter - it is desert type of weather and will be parched and dry and if you are unlucky, very bloody HOT! That is not to say that the GBR will not be hot - yes it will but it will be about 80 - 85F with humidity however the nights do cool down and evenings are a lovely time in the tropics anyway. Also out on the ocean with the breeze it is fine and pleasant. At least the scenery is better in North Queensland and there is nothing nicer than happy hour/s in the tropics, glass of some exotic drink in hand sitting in a lovely big swimming pool watching the sun go down and smelling the scents of whatever is flowering at the time.
Pat, by the way, has a friend who has a wildlife park in the Daintree and who personally introduces animals and birds to guests - what can be better than that. I don't have all of his information but Pat sure does and everything and everyone elses'as well and can steer you in the right direction for the best buys in terms of tours and trips etc.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 06:03 PM

We were at the GBR last Jan for a week.
It was hot and humid but we escaped the heatwave (above 100F) that hit the southern states including Syd, Melbourne and Adelaide that week - ie summer can be dry hot in the south.
At least in North Queensland, we walked attired like the locals - in singlets, shorts and flip flops. People don't normally do that in the south unless at the beach.
For me, the GBR is the obvious pick. You'd see more wildlife snorkelling there than you would anywhere else in the world.