Reload this Page >

Fraser Island and Lady Elliot Combo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 10:09 AM
Phil

Am travelling to Australia next December and flying into Brisbane before heading to Sydney. We thought we'd first fly up the coast from Brisbane to the jumping off point for Fraser Island and stay at Kingfisher resort for a few days and then fly to Lady Elliot Island. Anyone had any experience with these places? What about weather at this time of year. Does the hairy weather get this far south? <BR>Thanks.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 04:56 AM
Phil

Anyone done this?

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 02:17 PM
Phil

Will I be the first tourist ever to attempt this daring combo?

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 12:55 AM
Wendy

Hi, Phil <BR>I can't speak for Lady Elliot Is but Fraser Island is a true delight. It is the largest sand (only sand!)island in the world, yet supports towering rain forest trees. <BR>Some of the highlights are Lake Mackenzie, Central Station and just whizzing along the wide sand beaches in a fourwheel drive for over 100km. <BR>Lots of wild life - especially 'dingoes' a kind of native dog. <BR> <BR>My husband has stayed at that Kingfisher Bay resort - it's an ecotype place - very comfortable he said and on the mainland side of the island so it's got <BR>no surf there. The resort will organise trips to the places I've mentioned and be very helpful generally. <BR> <BR>The whole island is world heritage listed and pretty special - We've camped there at Easter (April - late summer) several times. You'll need insect repellant in December and lots of SPF30+ suncreen + a good shady hat. December is not too bad temp. wise - cyclones come later generally and a more of a problem further north ie. Mackay to Cairns but that's 500-1,000 miles further north than where you'll be. <BR> <BR>One warning - check out the school holiday times as Australian long school vacations are Dec-Jan, generally starting around the middle of the month. Crowds mean getting around the narrow 4xdrive tracks is slower. <BR>You'll love it though -Wendy. Email me if you need more info!

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 02:42 AM
lorraine

Hi Phil, <BR>Lady Elliott is a coral cay about 40 mins flight from Bundaberg - a little longer from Hervey Bay (where you take the barge over to Fraser Is). <BR>Lady Elliott has a low key resort on the island - mainly a draw card for serious divers as the coral and diving is very good most of the year. Visibility usually 20m +. <BR>Plenty of reef activity including huge manta rays, big reef fish and at that time of the year turtles (which lay their eggs on the island and on the mainland at Mon repos. <BR>In December, the whole of the north of Australia runs the risk of the occassional cyclone (tropical storm) although the Bundaberg area hasnt had one for many years. <BR>Accommodation is in permanent (hardfloor) framed Tents or basic unit style accom. I think all meals are included. <BR>Reef walking at low tide is very good - much better than the more touristy places further north. <BR>Fraser Island is a very big island. Will you have your own transport? You can hire 4wd from the resort. Kingfisher is on the Western side of the island. You can take 4wd tours from the resort - which I can highly recommend - they take in the major sites. A must is the surf beach on the eastern side which goes for miles; Lake McKenzie and Central Station. <BR>The resort is quite modern with a upmarket eco-tourist feel. Fraser can get busy during major holiday times but the island is so big you can usually find your own space OK