Search

Franz Josef or Mt. Cook?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Franz Josef or Mt. Cook?

Unfortunately we don't have enough time to do both Franz Josef AND Mt. Cook. Which would you recommend? We will be going to/from Queenstown, so Franz Josef is a much longer drive and seems to have fewer things around it to explore, but we are excited about the prospect of a half day glacier hike. Any thoughts appreciated!
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 02:38 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
My personal preference is the glaciers...I'm of the opinion that the drive along the West Coast is one of the prettiest on the SI. Yes, it's longer, but it's well worth the effort IMO.

Others will no doubt disagree with me, but after many visits to the SI, the West Coast is still a favorite.

The deciding factor may well be what you've experienced in the past...for example, I'm from Colorado and the Mt Cook drive/area feels very much like Colorado to me, but that's just my personal opinion. I find there's more to do around the glaciers...the hiking options are incredible, the helihike on a nice day is unforgettable, and there just no where else I know of where glaciers carve their way from the rainforest to the sea. The experience from the ground and the experience from above are entirely different - if you go, to get the full impact, you'll want to do the helihike or 1/2 day glacier climb.

Mt Cook is indeed lovely, and there's always the option of the Tasman glacier, which is NZ's largest. The recent earthquake broke off an iceberg the size of 20 football fields. There's a boat trip there and mlgb can fill you in on all there is to do at Mt Cook.

The short answer is, you can't really go wrong with either, so don't stress over it - it's all good.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 03:01 AM

Haven't been to Mt. Cook despite having been to the area several times, but I agree with the above that there is plenty to do around Fox and Franz Josef Glaciers. The landscape is almost surreal, with glaciers soaring out of the rainforest. There are lakes and waterfalls in every direction, and the gorgeous wetlands and beaches of the West Coast are very nearby. Lots hiking and photo opportunities. Rock collecting off the beaches.
The town of Fox Glacier is more serene, but more limited in accommodation. The glacier itself is more accessible than the Franz Josef glacier, meaning it isn't such a long hike from the parking lot. Lake Matheson is also worth a look if you plan to spend time here. Best to walk to the lake before or around dusk to avoid the crowds and to catch the reflections in the lake, early morning might be good as well.
The Matheson Cafe is a gorgeous spot for dinner or a drink.
http://www.lakematheson.com/
The town of Franz Josef has more accommodation, more restaurants, hot pools. We did our half-day glacier climb here about two weeks ago as it was too cloudy for a helicopter ride (we'll wait until the skies are clear for this, so that we will have better views). We only spent about 90 minutes on the ice and this includes a break for snacks. Most of the time is spent getting up to the ice, first through the rainforest, then on flat gravel track, then up a steep mound of slate, which, actually, was the hardest part, especially on the descent as the slate can be slippery. The ice climb was easy. My husband and I, both in our late 50s, enjoyed it, wished we had done a whole day.
The small beach community of Okarito, about 25 minutes from Franz Josef, is worth a visit. You pass pretty Lake Mapourika on the way. Okarito's lagoon is popular with birdwatchers. When we were there two weeks ago, the last of the white heron chicks were about to leave their nests.
http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-rec...karito-lagoon/
http://nzbirds.com/birding/okarito.html
There are loads of hikes to do around here.
http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-rec...er/activities/
We thought it would be easy to pass many days in the glaciers area.
My husband works in Dunedin, and he only had five days off, so we drove to Lake Wanaka, spent the first night here, spent the second night in Fox Glacier, spent the third night in Franz Josef and then turned around, spending a night in Cromwell via Lake Wanaka and the spectacular (and sometimes scary-steep) Crown Range Road, before coming home to Dunedin. We spent the night in Cromwell because we wanted to do some wine tasting on the following day before returning to Dunedin. The drive from Lake Wanaka to the glaciers is breathtaking.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 09:48 AM

What is the rest of the itinerary and what time of year are you going?

Mel has already hinted that I like Mt. Cook. Part of the issue with the west coast is the weather. If you go when it is socked in with rain, it can be a wasted 3 days.

On the Mt. Cook side you can walk the Hooker Valley track, do a float trip on the Tasman terminal lake, also you'll see the turquoise glacial lakes eg Pukaki and Tekapo.
As you've noticed it is a much shorter drive to Queenstown and you can go via the Lindis Pass which is lovely tussocklands. There are fewer sandflies east of the alps, which is another reason I prefer Mt. Cook (allergy).

But either one is rewarding especially if you can time it properly.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 09:51 AM

Video of my last trip to Mt Cook (Hooker Valley track)
https://picasaweb.google.com/kiwifan...10697937582882
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 02:56 PM

Hi there, I work for Franz Josef Glacier Guides, so obviously a little bias, however I love both Franz Josef and Mt Cook. Both are fantastic destinations, with loads of hiking to do in both - and I agree with all the comments above about what to do at either location.
I guess I have just a couple of things to add;
Re glacier hiking and weather - yes it rains on the West Coast, it also does in Mt Cook :0) Our half and full day hikes go rain or shine, and in the rain you often get better examples of the blue ice which the glacier is renowned for. The website www.franzjosefglacier.com has a link to a wet weather video for you to check out.
The other thing I thought I'd mention is that flight operators in Franz Josef do offer scenic flights to Mt Cook - so if your aim of heading up to cook was to see it, this may be an option for you to do both!
Hope that helps!
Kerry, Franz Josef Glacier Guides
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:05 PM

Hi NZGlacierGuides,

I am planning for a similar trip from CHC to ZQN using west coast. I also want to see FJG and Mt Cook. My plan was this, CHC to Graymouth, FJG and Wanaka driving, stay at Wanaka and make a same day return trip to Mt Cook. Is it doable by self drive ?

Alternately your suggestion of flight to Mt Cook from FJG also looks interesting, any operators you may suggest ?

Time of travel second week of Oct 2015, wife and daughter 9 years old. Total duration for the trip CHC- Graymoth- FJG- Wanaka- ZQN- Milford Sound (tour)- CHC, I am planning for 6-7 days is this doable any views ?

Thanks
Manuel
Old May 27th, 2015, 05:52 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Manuel -

I suggest you start a new thread as this one is over four years old.