Search

Food in Tahiti, Fiji

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 09:36 AM
Vicki

Food in Tahiti, Fiji

I have been researching Tahiti specifcally for my honeymoon becuase we are coming from the East Coast. Have heard wonderful things about the islands however, many, many negative things about the food. My fiance does not like any fish etc. Is the food better in Fiji? We will be travelling in January 2001 so it is either Tahiti/Fiji or the Carribbean. Hope someone can help me out. Thanks.

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 04:09 PM
Louis

The food is good in both Fiji and Tahiti. How much fish depends on where you are. I know in Manihi in the Tahiti group we had fish most every night. In Bora Bora and Tahiti you could always get chichen or pork. In the better Fiji resorts, you tell them what you don't like before you arrive and they will cater to you. Since Fiji is close to New Zealand and Australia there is lots of excellent lamb and beef. We have always had rack of lamb once or twice when we have been in Fiji. If your tastes are toward lamb and beef I would favor Fiji. You can get chicken and pork in both areas. In the Caribbean, except for fish most of the food supplies for the better resorts are flown from Florida which is a state noted for its beef and I have had better lamb than I get at home in Virgin Gorda. If you plan to go to one of better resort in any of the islands, I don't think you have a real problem. The resorts that cater to 30 or less people will be apt to plan food to please your tastes. Warning, none of the places are France or Northern Italy when it comes to food. Good wines will be much less expensive in either Fiji or BVI than in Tahiti. Everything is expensive there. In Bora Bore we often have eaten most of our dinners in a local Chinese restaurant since $200 for dinner with wine and drinks at our resort in Bora Bora a little much. We never take a food plan since we can't eat that much. Also if you are in Bora Bora it is fun to eat around. You have a hard choice. From the East Coast it is a just as much pain to fly to either Fiji or Tahiti. If you were going to the Bora Bora Hotel, I would opt for that and eat down the road. Otherwise I would go to Fiji at either Namali, Matangi, Turtle Island or the Tasawa Island Resort. I think in Fiji the Honeymoon Bure and package would fit you best at Namali. You will be catered to at a place like that in manner that you will not find elsewhere.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 09:49 AM
Gigi

Don't let the food choices stop you from visiting Tahiti! I found the food to be excellent. Yes, they do take advantage of the bounty of fresh fish, fruit, but I always found a wide variety of foods including chicken, pork, lamb, beef, etc. The menus are usually a combination of French/Polynesian and International cuisine.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 11:34 AM
fishlover

I don't wish to sound negative but who could not like fish (although some people are allegic to it). Now there is a huge difference between fish that is caught, frozen, shipped, manhandled, poorly cooked and presented (aka most of the fish we get here in the States); AND fresh fish caught locally, cooked and served the right way. Maybe you would both enjoy fish. And I hope you get to try various seafoods. we had some wonderful cook outs in Fiji and the hotel staff cooked up just about every thing. Good luck and happy eating

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 08:17 PM
Louis

Don't let the fish lover scare you. We get beautiful fresh fish in San Diego and I eat wonderful fish in places like the Oyster Bar in NYC. The fish when fresh is no better elsewhere. However the pen fed spiny lobster that I have eaten in Anegada is better then anyplace else I have been. While we eat fish, many our friends do not and I have two grand nieces that don't eat any meat, and one niece that will eat only fish which makes it hard at family dinners. As long as you are at a major resort you will alway have something other than seafood. <BR>