flying US to Australia via Quantas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how many frequent flier miles are necessary to travel business class from Lax to sidney/Auckland? We are AA advantage members-partners with Quantas?
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 08:59 AM

Go to aa.com

On the menu, select AAdvantage - Redeem Miles - etc.

You will find the info there. I did. Hint: you are traveling to the South Pacific region.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 09:42 AM

125,000 miles for the all partner award which is region based http://tinyurl.com/5978hs but Qantas availability may not be easy to come by so I'd keep my options open and also consider Air Tahiti Nui via Papeete or Air Pacific via Nadi or any other possibility.

If you use a Oneworld award which is mileage based http://tinyurl.com/2h7khb, I believe that would open up the possibility of routing via Asia. Tickets issued before Sep 1 have the advantage of only the mileage between stopovers counting. After that, I believe they count actual miles flown.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 11:24 PM

At the risk of being pedantic it would help your research if you typed in SYDNEY and QANTAS. Two rather critical spelling mistakes.

Schnauzer
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 08:31 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Transpacific business class awards on Qantas are among the very hardest seats to obtain using AA miles, especially during peak periods such as November - February. For partner awards, people are having much better luck with Air Pacific or Tahiti Nui, but getting multiple seats (2+) on the same plane can be very challenging.

The Oneworld award requires use of 2 Oneworld airlines (which does not include Air Pathetic or TN) in addition to AA if used at all, so a likely route would be something like LAX - Tokyo on Japan AL, then Qantas to Sydney and/or Auckland, then the reverse coming back. Note no stopovers are allowed unless you want the miles to count, and after Sept. 1 all the miles will count regardless of stopovers v. connections. This is for itineraries <i>ticketed</i> after September, not for itineraries <i>scheduled</i> after then.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 01:46 PM

Yes you can redeem American miles on Qantas Airways, but you have to be extremely flexible and they sell out fast.

You can also travel on Air Pacific (FJ) via Nadi, Fiji, and Air Tahiti Nui (TN) via Papeete, Tahiti.

For more information visit www.travelbyalbee.com and I can assist.

Let me know,
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 01:59 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<b>travelbyalbee</b> I think you should have a look at Fodors T &amp; Cs regarding advertising.