flights from Toronto, Canada to Sydney Australia

Mar 31st, 2010, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

flights from Toronto, Canada to Sydney Australia

Planning a trip to Sydney from Toronto for about six weeks during the Dec. - Feb. times of year - . I'm flying solo and am 65+ so looking to make this long trip as comfortable as possible while keeping my eye of costs. Has anyone experienced the premium economy on Air New Zealand or Quantas - is it worth the added price or is it better than Air Canada economy or do I hang in and hope there's a sale on business class. Also any feedback on which airlines to pick would be appreciated. I have some airpoints - but not enough - had considered using them to get me part way ... but i'm not sure if it's worth the trouble.
Mar 31st, 2010, 05:52 PM

My inclination would be to recommend Air New Zealand. Last time I flew Qantas (note there's no "u") in January of this year (Sydney to Buenos Aires) I noticed all sorts of cost cutting exercises that made them just that bit less appealing (no more socks, unusable eye shades, no more Magnum icecreams).

It's fairly uncomfortable in Qantas economy, like most airlines. There are guides to the dimensions of the seats, which might help you choose airlines, someone here might know the web address. If you can go premium economy, I think you would be more comfortable.
Mar 31st, 2010, 08:39 PM

I think if you are flying to Australia then its best to fly either with your own Airline - Air Canada or with Qantas as they are far more likely to have specials. If you check the International web site for Qantas you may find that they have a apecial flying from NY. But another way to get to Australia cheaply would be to get into the USA and get a good deal to Honolulu return and then get a Honolulu Sydney return flight with perhaps Jetstar ( www.jetstar.com.au ) and/or a flight with Canada's low cost airline to Honolulu and then Jetstar or perhaps Hawaiin Airlines, Honolulu/Sydney/Hon. Personally I find that its too far to fly from the North Eastern side of USA or Canada to Australia without a stopover and you could get one of those to your advantage.
Mar 31st, 2010, 08:42 PM

PS my last flight with Qantas was in February this year and we got a pack with eye shades and toothbrush etc. If you go through LA on Qantas and its the A380 Super Liner then its way more comfortable than any other airline.
Apr 1st, 2010, 03:19 AM

But Lizzie didn't you notice that the eyeshades smelt like petrol and that there's no socks anymore?
Apr 1st, 2010, 01:40 PM

premium economy is definitely worth it!!! In the past years have always done the US/Oz trips with Qantas both economy and prem economy. Even flying from New York we never stopover-my motto is get the journey over and done with.
Apr 2nd, 2010, 01:18 PM

Hi Susan - petrol smelling eyeshades? can't say that I did smell them as I always take my own anyway which are really lovely - that together with my very own special goose down pillow. I find that those socks were dreadful too and made my feet hot - used them at home and all the fluff came off them onto the carpet so its no loss not having those. Of course Premium economy is very nice but on the A380 economy was so much better that the other planes because of the bag for your feet and extra room, more movies and a much quieter airline. My biggest beef with Qantas is that they serve you a small bottle of Champagne instead of topping you up out of a big bottle! They will give you another one though if you ask. I am about to try a few airlines next month with Air Asia to KL then Thai ( been with them before and OK ) Etihad ( supposed to be the best in the World ) and a few tin pot ones in Turkey so it will be interesting to see how they compare.