Reload this Page >

first time in australia : Tasmania or Cairns

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 02:13 PM
bruno

We're planning a 3 weeks trip to Australia in December (11 to 31). For a first trip is it better to go to Tasmania or to see Cairns ? <BR>We plan to do : <BR>4 days in Sydney <BR>4 days in Alice springs <BR>4 days in Adelaide <BR>4 days in Melbourne <BR>and 4 days in Tasmania or Cairns ?????? <BR>Thanks for your help.

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 02:32 PM
Matt

Given the time of year, Tasmania is probably your best bet. Cairns will be very hot, very humid, with the chance of loads of rain. Tasmania will be perfect - warm with long days. <BR>

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 04:20 AM
Scott

Bruno <BR> <BR>Cairns = heat <BR> <BR>Tasmania = history <BR> <BR>Looking at your plans, Tasmania is quicker to get to than Cairns. <BR> <BR>If you decide on my home State of Tasmania, I'll be happy to give you some ideas. <BR> <BR>Whatever choice you make, I hope you enjoy it. <BR> <BR>Scott

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 04:26 AM
Kerryanne

Bruno, I agree with Matt, Tasmania in December will be wonderful. I have to admit to never having travelled to Cairns myself, but it is tropical and very very hot and wet and humid. If you decided to go there, you would have to go across there from Alice Springs. However, Tasmania I have travelled around, it is lovely, full of history and beautiful scenery. You can stay in fully restored old Colonial cottages that are very old (by Australian standards) or in fantastic 4 - 5 star hotels, or anything in between. Fantastic ancient forests to walk thru on well marked tracks and a cruise on the Gordon River at Strahan takes you to view a tree that is over 2000 years old... <BR>You can get to Tasmania from Melbourne either by a very short plane flight or by overnight ship (which if you're hiring a car you can take the car onto). Whatever intinerary you choose, Im sure you will just love our country and our people. Have a wonderful time, it will definately not be your last visit!