Reload this Page >

Fiji vs Caribbean: Clear water??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 02:21 PM
SuzieQ

Someone mentioned on another board that Fiji's waters were not as clear as in the Caribbean (which I've explored extensively), and was "...more like California, except warm". Is this true??? If so, I'm going to be terribly disappointed! Can anyone tell me average visibility (for snorkeling/diving)?

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Diane

I can tell you that after visiting Fiji you will only want one thing...to keep going back. I have visited the Caribbean many times and once you see the water, feel the warmth of the South Pacific sun, taste the food, but most importantly get to know the Fijian people and get a feel for their culture you will be hooked. I can tell by your recent posts that you are excited and you should be because it is incredible. The water in Fiji can be crystal clear in places but you will have to travel away from where you will be staying. If I remember correctly you are at the Denerau area and that is dark sand beaches and the water is not clear. Do not let this scare you off! The Denerau Marina is one of the launching places for many day trips which you have to do. Go see the Mamanuca's and the Yasawa's if you get a chance. If you can take a 2 or 3 night Blue Lagoon Cruise. I know it's not in your plans now but if you can do it it's wonderful. Another difference that you will find is that it is far less expensive in Fiji than most places, if not all, in the Caribbean. Fiji is fabulous. <BR>Diane

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 04:04 PM
SuzieQ

Thank you, Diane! Yes, I'm very excited! I've wanted to visit the South Pacific since seeing the play of the same name in high school (many, many moons ago!). I'll take your suggestions to heart, and appreciate you taking the time to write.