Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Fiji, New Zealand, Costa Rica, or Honduras?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone. I'm trying to decide where to go on our next trip. First off here's a little background on myself and my wife so you guys can better help us decide. I'm 27, she's 25 and we have done our fair share of traveling in the past few years, Mexico, Hawaii, Belize, and parts of the US. We got back from 3 weeks in Belize in May and June and it was by far the most amazing trip we have taken. We love to scuba dive, eat good food, hike, and do pretty much anything outdoors. We found Belize great because it wasn't too touristy, there were lots of things to do off the beaten path, we got to explore lots of different parts of the country and there was awesome culture.....oh yeah and great diving!!! We are trying to decide between Fiji/New Zealand, Honduras, and Costa Rica. We are looking to spend 2-3 weeks, price isn't really a factor since we will make it work where ever. We like places that aren't too touristy but do like to stay in nice hotels with great amenities. Outdoor activities and things to do are key, we do like to lounge but not all day. We will be going in late May early June. Let me know what you guys all think!
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 09:13 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Late May early June is late autumn/early winter in NZ. The water be will awfully cold.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 11:54 PM

The top dive site in NZ is Poor Knight's Island (off the Bay of Islands) and visibility is supposed to be best in winter. You would need a 7mm wetsuit to dive here year round. I expect a dry suit would work, too.

My husband and I tried to dive Poor Knights some years ago and we showed up in Tutukaka, NZ, thinking we would have no trouble finding a scuba trip out to these nearby famed islands, but the dive shop seemed to be closed for the season (we were there in early autumn or late spring, I think). Things might be different now. But you should check ahead of time. Trips to the islands also leave out of Auckland.
http://new-zealand.greatestdivesites.com/poor_knights
http://www.performancediver.co.nz/charters.php
http://diving.co.nz/what_we_do
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/arc...p/t-93530.html

I've seen folks scuba diving here in Dunedin, NZ, in winter. Folks even scuba dive in the waters of Antarctica (in summer).
Rather than scuba diving, I think hiking in NZ in winter might less comfortable or enjoyable than it would be in summer or early autumn.

You didn't mention Australia as a place you have been to. Have you considered the Great Barrier Reef? My husband and I went on a live aboard boat trip out onto the Great Barrier Reef in early June (many years ago). The weather was ideal. Cyclone season up there is from November to May. While in Tropical North Queensland, you could also make a trip to the Daintree Rainforest and Cape Tribulation. It's beautiful. Air Pacific flies from LAX to Nadi and then from Nadi to Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne.
http://www.airpacific.com/
http://www.daintree-rec.com.au/daintree.html
Old Sep 20th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

I'm still interested in CR and Honduras but I think I'm leaning towards Fiji just because it seems to offer a ton with some great diving, not 100% though. Another big reason is my wife and I are planning on having kids in the next couple of years and I can see slipping away for a small trip to CR or Honduras but not 2 weeks to Fiji. Any other advise? Anyone been to all 3 places?
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

http://www.fodors.com/community/aust...r-honduras.cfm
Old Sep 24th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

I think my worry is stuff to do outside of diving. I know that Fiji and Honduras are both great dive sites, not sure which is better but that is only one part of the day. I also love doing all the stuff on the land, good town and culture, wildlife, fishing, and maybe even some great hikes
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 04:10 AM

Can't tell you what's best for you and haven't been to any on your short list. Honduras was on ours but we ended up going to Nicaragua instead - but diving wasn't one of our reasons. I know Roatan is very popular. But we got kind of unnerved by the fact that Honduras has the world's highest violent crime rate in the world. Far beyond even the #2 country. Thought that might be worth knowing. And we're not usually timid travelers but wanting to see what we could of a country seemed a bit daunting for that reason.
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 04:30 AM

I've been to Costa Rica and New Zealand...hum...They were both wonderful, and you could get what you're looking for in either place. What I'm thinking about is your children to be. I've traveled A LOT with two boys, and I'm thinking that a trip to New Zealand or Fiji will be a bit much until they reach a certain age. New Zealand is totally child friendly (a safe, comfortable place to take a child), but the trip itself is just so long. Also, you've been to Mexico and Belize, and New Zealand or Fiji would be so different. I'd say that since you seem to enjoy different cultures, you should head to Fiji. Then when the kids are old enough to travel a long way, you can take them to New Zealand, and let them jump off the Auckland Bridge (my son loved that!)
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 02:56 PM

We did a three week trip of New Zealand and Fiji. My husband and I both love to scuba dive as well. On this trip we spent 2 weeks in New Zealand driving from Auckland (North Island) all the way to Queenstown (South Island). There are tons of adventurous things to do, jetboating, offroading, paragliding, hanggliding, bungee jumping, visiting Milford Sound by plane.

I think you and your wife will enjoy Queenstown (South Island). It's beautiful, lots to do, great food and appeared to have high end hotels. While here make sure to do the air tour of Milford Sound (it includes a cruise). Jetboat the shotover river, and we truly enjoyed the off-road through Arrowtown and arrow river. Eat at Ferg Burger as soon as you get there. You won't regret it.

I've been to Fiji twice and visited four different islands. I think the best place to dive is by Taveuni because of the Somosomo straight. There's lots of drift diving here. Corals are amazingly beautiful (thus the title soft coral capital of the world). It rains in Taveuni a lot more, it's a much bigger island. You can hike to a place that has three waterfalls, visit villages/town, and pack for a romantic picnic to a deserted island.

Kadavu has some great diving as well. We went to a place where we snorkeled with Manta Rays. This is a more laid back island. You usually stay at your resort, dive and come back. During the week there's an excursion to visit a Fijian village. Deep see fishing is also very good here. We caught a big Dorado and a big Yellow Fin Tuna (sadly the bigger tuna got away). You can also surf here. King Kong break right outside of Nagigia Resort is a consistent left reef wave. You have to be boated to this place unless you are staying at Nagigia resort.

The drier side of the islands (Mana, Tokoriki, etc.) has good diving but not as great as somosomo straight and Kadavu. These islands tend to be smaller and you pretty much have nothing to do but play beach volleyball, tennis, kayak and dive.

If you stay in Viti Levu (the largest island) and want to dive then go to the Pacific Harbour area. They have shark feeding dives and is across from Beqa Lagoon which has lots of good diving. You can do whitewater rafting in this island and Pacific Harbour is between Nadi and Suva. You can visit museums in Suva (the capital), buy souvenirs and do all the touristy stuff.

Sorry I can't comment about CR, my trip is coming up in April and I have not been to Honduras.

Hope this helps and good luck.