Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Fiji - Is there an island that has it all?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 08:35 AM
Julie

I am researching a trip to Fiji or French Poly. Is there an island that has both great beaches, snorkeling but also rugged lush terrain to hike, explore?

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 05:20 PM
Louis

There is nowhere that has everything, however the islands I pick would be Bora Bora and Taveuni. The reason is that they are both small and you can get around without a car. In Taveuni it is easy to hitch a ride. In Bora Bora you can go around it on a bicycle.

Old May 24th, 2000, 06:18 PM
Anne

Hi: I am always looking for the same things. Moorea in Tahiti is spectacular for both lush rugged terrain and the snorkeling/diving there is magical. I would go back there in a heartbeat and plan to. Im going to Fiji in July and hopefully it will be just as nice. Im staying on a small island with one resort called Moody's Namale for part of the trip. They are supposed to have great diving. Good luck on your research and wishing you a great vacation where ever you choose.

Old May 25th, 2000, 03:08 PM
Anne2

I also am planning a trip to Fiji in July and staying 5 days on the Coral Coast and 5 days on one of the Manamucas (sp?). I'm a bit nervous about the coup which is still in progress, especially staying on the Coral Coast. Any info or thoughts?

Old May 25th, 2000, 06:05 PM
Anne

Im not even going to worry about it. I was planning a day trip to Suva but may back out of that just because of the kids taking advantage of the situation and rioting. I am also staying on the Coral Coast for half the time Im there. The situation appears to be calm enough -- if you have been following the news on CNN you will get an idea where they are with it -- looks like in talks now. I grew up in the south of Ireland (about the same distance away as the Coral Coast and islands are from Suva) from Northern Ireland. From that distance, you would never even know there was a war going on a couple of hours drive away and I NEVER saw even a slight incident. I really think it will be more than fine. Tourism is Fiji's main moneymaker and I think people will be even more friendly and looking to make us feel safe and comfortable and welcomed. A storm in a teacup I think. (Hope these are not famous last words!) Anyway, Im going and plan to have a great vacation. Hope you do too.

Old May 25th, 2000, 07:18 PM
Louis

I am following closely, out of interest, the situation in Fiji which is indeed unfortunate. Also, I have read a great deal recently on its history and about some of the things leading up to the current situation. Without being a intimate part of this very small nation it is difficult for outsiders to understand all of the ins and outs. The problems are certainly amount themselves and not pointed at tourists which they love which to a major extent drives their current economy. Unfortunately much of the problem involve political splits among the fijian and not strictly with the indians. At this time the damage that has been created most likely will set the country back about 10 years. Based on this, now is the time to go and enjoy Fiji. The Fiji of tomorrow is not apt to be as attractive if they continue down the road they are now headed. I would however stay away from Suva and Latoka for a while. Head to the other islands. Also, you will never have less crowded flights and resort prices are may well go down as the economy weakens. <BR>I hate to see the local people suffer but it has already started.

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 07:59 AM
Ally

I agree with Anne and Louis. GO TO FIJI! <BR>I went to Beqa Island and Taveuni for my Honeymoon in '98. It's a lovely country and the people are the friendliest in the world. No one is going to be 'out to get' tourist. Just stay away from Suva and you probably won't even know there is any unrest at all!