Fiji coup!

Old May 19th, 2000, 07:06 AM
Peggy

Fiji coup!

Supposed to be leaving for Fiji tomorrow night. Does anyone have any info on safety issues at Nadi airport due to the coup in Suva?

Old May 19th, 2000, 07:11 AM
Emily

Contact the State Department, either by phone or at their website. They issue travel advisories, warnings and updates for all foreign countries.

Old May 19th, 2000, 04:20 PM
Louis

The state department on May 19th at http://www.travel.state.gov/fiji_announce.html suggested that you defer travel to fiji until things settle down. In around 1968 we considered a trip to Fiji the first time when similar problems happened and we opted to go elsewhere. As it turned out, the tourists were not in any danger and services for them outside the major towns were not affected. The current situation is an on going local matter between the Indians and the Fijian and neither in my estimation would want to do anything to endanger tourists. It is clear that services around major areas such as Nadi and Suva are affected including communications. Also, some things like emergency medical services might be affected. Having been recently to Fiji twice since 1998, I would suggest this. If it is convenient to put it off a while do so. However if this poses financial hardships, I would go. Based on the info so far I don't think there are any real risks if you are going to other islands or areas remote from the major cities such as areas off of Viti Levu. The airport is open currently at Nadi. There are many places to stay around the airport either coming or going. Until things settle I would not go into Nadi or Suva at all unless the curfew is lifted. The army has not acted in support of either side and is currently helping the police to maintain order around the towns. I guess if I were going to places like Matangi, Turtle Island, Namali or Taveuni, I would go unless there is more negative news. This the airline should give you. They will not by choice fly you into a dangerous condition and I presume you are flying either by Air Fiji or Air Pacific which is half owned by Quantas and code shared with I think American Airlines. Remember that the State Department will take the most conservative approach and their announcement of today is not overly alarming. I really regret that this is happening to you as Fiji is a lovely, place, very safe and the people their are lovely to visitors. I hope this helps.

Old May 20th, 2000, 07:57 AM
Louis

I just looked at the CNN reports on Fiji and the postings on the coup there. It seems that things are stable but at an impass. It would seem to me that there is no real reason not to go to Fiji if the Airline will take you there and the only real problem I see is that the phone systems may not be working. This is a wonderful time of the year to be there. I wish you good luck if you go. Air New Zealand has no current problem flying into Fiji as of 5 minutes ago.

Old May 20th, 2000, 08:03 AM
Peggy

Vinaka, Louis. We will just be at the airport for a few hours tomorrow morning (leaving LAX tonight Air Pacific) & catching Sunflower Airlines to Vatulele. Insurance will not compensate unless the airlines cease service so it we don't go we are out a big chunk of money. I know if I felt there was real danger, the heck with the money & we would not go. This same thing happened to us in Oct 87 when we were going to get married but we had more time ahead of the reservations & went to Tahiti instead. I am not so much concerned with getting there but who knows what may erupt in the 10 days we are there! Oh well maybe we'll just have to camp out at Vatulele for awhile! <BR>Well, unless the airlines cancels flights we go. But I wonder about airline communications at the airport if they have been down all over Fiji? We were chatting with people in Suva on Thursday night on fijilive.com but they are now down. It was obvious in '98 when we were last there, tensions were growing. It is such a lovely place, I wish everyone well. Will post a report when we return!

Old May 20th, 2000, 09:19 AM
Louis

Hurray for you Peggy: Vatulele is a lovely place - you are not going to have any problems at all and it will be great trip. <BR> <BR>Give my best to Fiji. There has been no coup yet and things appear to be peaceful. The president has the most power and he not is elected at the same time as the current government. He should be able to keep things in line. We were there in 1999 during the voting and electron.

Old May 28th, 2000, 04:55 PM
Bill

Peggy hope your vacation goes well. I am going to Fiji 08/05/00 for our 25th wedding anniversary. We are taking a cruise "Capt Cook Cruise" the first few days then staying at a resort the second week. <BR> <BR>I am very interested to here how things are in Fiji, please let me know. Thanks and regards.