Reload this Page >

Help for trip to Port Douglas!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 06:35 AM
Sara

Hi. My family (2 teenagers) is planning a trip to Australia, and want to visit Port Douglas for the reef and rainforest. We're kind of confused about where to stay how long to stay, and if to see the reef from a couple of different places. For accomodations we're not sure if we should stay on the beach for a few days and then in the rainforest at a place like Silky Oaks, or if we should just stay in one place the whole time. Should we bother taking day trips to any of the islands and see the reef more than one day? (We were thinking about staying on one of the islands for the "tropical island feel" but think ot would be to expensive and might not be what we expected) Also, should we save a day for the beach? We aren't really "beach people" but we'd like to try some water sports if there are facilities for them in Port Douglas, and swim where the water is beautiful and clear. I've heard good things about 4 mile beach, but is it really crowded? Should we go to a different beach if we decide to? Please help us. We're so confused about EVERYTHING!

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 01:00 PM
xxx

If you want to go to the beach definetly go to the four mile beach. Its beautiful and so is the Silky Oaks.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Jen

Sara, <BR> <BR>I was in Port Douglas last year for 5 days. Just FYI...the beach is gorgeous, but is not the typical 'resort' beach. We stayed at the Mirage (which was not worth the $$$ if you ask me - very convention-y feel), and you cannot see the beach from the hotel at all...no development allowed on the beach. You have to go through a small clearing in the thicket along the beach to get to the beach. Just to set your expectations.... <BR> <BR>I wouldn't take a day trip to an island...we chartered our reef trip with Wavelength and out to the reef for a full day of snorkling. It was wonderful. <BR> <BR>Silky Oaks would be wonderful to stay at...we had lunch there one day and regretted not staying there. HOWEVER, you have teenagers, and they might like the resorty Port Douglas better...cute main street with typical tourist shops, lunch spots, and good restaurants. The Mirage did rent bikes, and that was a fun way to get around. <BR> <BR>As for water sports off the beach...I didn't see that there were any. The beach was not crowded when we went. <BR> <BR>To see the rainforest, I would recommend hiring David at Australia Natural History Safari www.anhs.com.au for an UNFORGETTABLE 'safari' through the rainforest and outback. It was the highlight of our trip. <BR> <BR>Good luck - happy to answer any other questions you have. <BR> <BR>Jen

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 11:24 AM
KC

Hi Sara! <BR> <BR>We spent a week in Port Douglas earlier this year and we stayed across the road from Four Mile beach. It is not crowded at all-in northern Queensland there are more beaches than there are people so I don't think any of them get that crowded! <BR> <BR>You can go parasailing or water skiing which leave from the Marina. I am not sure if there are any other water sports available. <BR> <BR>We also stayed at Silky Oaks for a couple of days and though it was nice, it was not what we expected. Make sure you know what it is before you go. It is an eco lodge, not a 5* resort. It is located in the middle of the rainforest and the surroundings are spectacular. You really are close to nature and it is an experience. However, there were certain luxuries that I was expecting that weren't there (i.e. fabulous rooms, amazing food, exceptional service, etc.) <BR> <BR>I am glad that we stayed there, but I wouldn't do it again because it was so expensive. <BR> <BR>KC

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 04:29 PM
Matt

Port Douglas is a great place to stay. The beach is long and uncrowded. Even the far northern end, which is close to the town proper, is uncrowded. There is a small amenities block, a lifeguard and watersports stuff for hire - boards, kayaks, catamarans, etc. <BR>If staying at Port Douglas I would recommend the area between the beach and the town proper at the far northern end of the area. There are loads of exclelnt low-rise apartment blocks in this area. Places like the Mirage and Radisson are are a good bit out of town. <BR>Port Douglas has ts own Marina for day trips. Most operators will visit a few different spots during the day. <BR>I think staying on the mainland offers more as there are some great ares nearby to explore by car or organised tiur, eg Kuranda and Atherton Tableland to the south-west and Mossman Gorge, Daintree River and Cape Tribulation to the North. <BR>You don't say when you area travelling, but beware that from October to May in the low season because of the heat and high rainfall. its also stinger season, which means no swimming on the beaches (although there is a netted area at Port Douglas). <BR>We had a week there last time. That's enough to have a day of two on the reef, a couple of days touing the region and a couple of days hanging out in Port Douglas.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 12:19 PM
Sara

Thanks for all the information so far. We will be travelling anywhere between June and August.