Farm stay or cattle station accommodation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a driving trip from Adelaide to Darwin and would like to incorporate some overnight stays at a cattle station or similar. The ones I have found so far have been way to expensive eg. $750 a night per person. Does anyone know of any reasonably priced ones.
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 02:08 AM

First couple of things I'd ask dutchy is do you really want to drive all that way and when do you plan on doing it, for
1. Ain't going to be a whole lot of farms/cattle stations about other than near either end.
And seeing as most will mean you going off sealed roads and hire companies have a ban on that other than for 4wd, if you're having to hire, the hire/fuel will really add up.

2.Anytime from now for about the next six months isn't going to be the best of times for whilst most of the trip will be through very dry scrubby to barren desert like country, it's going to be a bit roasting over the next six months and high in humidity up the top end with the wet season.

As far as farms and stations to stay at, I agree $750/h/n is just so unrealistic to be stupid unless it included picking you up by a helicopter from somewhere for a few hours flight or whatever, and if you haven't been able to find anything reasonably priced (~$100/h max.), what I'd do is look up www.wwoof.com.au or www.helpexchange.org and see what is on offer for starters (wwoof have a far greater listing in their yearly handbook, and you'll probably be able to have a geek at a www.yha.com.au office and other places to see full listing) and if you come across something, either do a deal to get some hands on experience or negotiate a price to go and stay in what might be basic accomodation or take a tent with you.

If you have got your vehicle side sorted, there'll be a few places of interest around the Flinders Ranges, Alice Springs and also between Katherine and Darwin, and if you want an indigenous look, you could find http://www.igawarta.com/ in the Flinders worth a look.

I'd consider alternatives like doing trips ex Adelaide, Alice and Darwin and doing flights in between or using something like www.waywardbus.com.au if you want to get a taste of the outback (at right time of year of course)
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 05:13 PM

Hi dutchkiwi,

Rawnsley Park in the Flinders Ranges has a range of accommodation that might be what you are looking for. Details available at: http://www.rawnsleypark.com.au/

I've not stayed here myself, although I have visited the Flinders Ranges three times a truly beautiful part of Australia. My parents enjoyed their stay at Rawnsley Park and would be happy to visit again.

Cheers,

Pol
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, we are not planning to go until August next year when it is a bit cooler. I realise it is a long way but from Adelaide to Darwin over 2 weeks is roughly only 192 K. Not that much. The plan to drive is not set in concrete yet, but appeals to us. We don't have to stay on farm stays all the time, just a couple would be a great experience so maybe nearer to Adelaide and Darwin would be the best bet. Thanks for you help.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 01:07 AM

August is better, but if it was me I'd plan on leaving about end of May, weather already have cooled but you'd be close enough to end of the wet season to have the country looking near its best - any later and it is already starting to dry.

Still a long way and you'll want to look at where you want to get to and type of vehicle.