Reload this Page >

Experiences, thoughts on Nepal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 1998, 09:35 PM
Laura McKay

I am thinking about travelling in Nepal, and would like to hear about your experiences and opinions of the country.

Old Feb 13th, 1998, 02:09 PM
gillian begg

Hi! I travelled in Nepal in 1994 with a friend. We tried to do the Annapurna sanctuary trek but sickness and unusually early winter weather stopped us from getting into the sanctuary (which is supposed to be spectacular). We still trekked for seven days though and had a great time - you dont really need to go right into the mountains to get great views. Because we cut the trek short we went to Chitwan national park which was beautiful and very relaxing - and warm! If I have any advice it would be (if you are planning a trek) to allow extra time in case you get sick and you want to go slow - almost everyone we spoke to had been sick for at least a day or so, and we were both bed-ridden for two days - and I haven't been sick anywhere else in Asia. Also, the packaged treks in the Annapurna are a rip off - $50-$100 per day to stay in a tent! We travelled independently with a porter and had a great time for less than $10 a day. All in all I highly recommend Nepal - even if you only went to Kathmandu it would be a fantastic experience.

Old Feb 13th, 1998, 02:10 PM
gillian begg

Hi! I travelled in Nepal in 1994 with a friend. We tried to do the Annapurna sanctuary trek but sickness and unusually early winter weather stopped us from getting into the sanctuary (which is supposed to be spectacular). We still trekked for seven days though and had a great time - you dont really need to go right into the mountains to get great views. Because we cut the trek short we went to Chitwan national park which was beautiful and very relaxing - and warm! If I have any advice it would be (if you are planning a trek) to allow extra time in case you get sick and you want to go slow - almost everyone we spoke to had been sick for at least a day or so, and we were both bed-ridden for two days - and I haven't been sick anywhere else in Asia. Also, the packaged treks in the Annapurna are a rip off - $50-$100 per day to stay in a tent! We travelled independently with a porter and had a great time for less than $10 a day. All in all I highly recommend Nepal - even if you only went to Kathmandu it would be a fantastic experience.

Old Feb 13th, 1998, 02:10 PM
gillian begg

Old Feb 13th, 1998, 02:27 PM
Pef

I travelled to Nepal in March, April "94. Had an outstanding time. I agree. Don't do a package trek! Go with a friend or make one at the Blue Note in Kathmandu (over a couple Iceberg beers) or at your Guest House. I recommend "My Mom's House" or ACME (no joke) We trekked Jomson to Pokhara. It was great. Don't fall for the trekker traps and stay in Kalopani,etc. Definitely spend a night in Marpha (just 2 hours from Jomson) and Ghara-they're on your map. Get your Lonely Planet, a few bucks (not many) and GO!

Old Mar 10th, 1998, 10:42 PM
Jo Harriet Haley

My son (age 28) and I were in Nepal in May 97. It was wonderful. I would totally recommend it, except for the food which is pretty awful. Kathmandu is very interesting. Stay in Thamel (the old city). I loved the Kathmandu Guest House primarily because we met a lot of people in the patio/coffee/bar/cafe. For sure go up close and personal with the Himalayas. They almost defy description they are so grand. We went to Pokkara which is an awful place with t-shirt shops blocking the view of a simply beautiful lake and American 70's music blaring all night from the bars. But that is one way to see or begin to trek into the Himalayas and so worth it if you don't stay too long in town. The Royal Chitwan National Park was the highlight (for me) of our 3 month round-the-world trip. Looking for rare one-horned rhinos from atop an elephant--what an experience. I stayed at Temple Tiger inside the park and thought it was worth every penny (less than $200 for 3 days including all food, accomodations, tours, travel from Pokkara there and then back to Kathmandu). Nepal is a great bargain on American dollars. We spent about $25/night for fairly nice double rooms and rarely spent more than $4.00 for a meal. But take some good medicine for the runs. Both of us got sick despite very careful eating.

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 08:23 PM
nigel

Laura <BR> <BR>Nepal is a must! We were there in Feb/March 97, starting in Kathmandu, foollowed by a trek up to Gokyo, the alternate route to see Everest. The altitude sucks, but if you take your time and get plenty of rest, words cannot describe the experience. Dn't completely reject organised treks. With a good cook, you avoid the illness that you will definately cop if you spend time in tea houses. OK, it's more expensive, but a case of the runs like you've never experienced also stuffs up your holiday. Kathmadu is a great town, go out to Baktapur (sorry about the spelling). Get around by taxis, very cheap if you can stand the driving.