Reload this Page >

Electric Wheelchair vs. Uluhru

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 09:31 PM
mdraves

Double amputee (ak and bk) looking to tride some trike in the area. soak up some sun resting against the rock.<BR><BR>Looking to travel around april of 2003 with 10 days to spend.<BR><BR>Currently in US, Arizona area, wondering on any places to rent a trike? Will I need to bring a converter (for recharging my 'chair)<BR>Thumbnail estimates on costs?<BR><BR>Thank you,<BR><BR> md

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Mike

You know I've read your message a couple times now and I've almost not answered it.<BR>I just came back from Uluru (Ayers Rock) so I can well understand your desire to go there. But it is not an easy place to maneuver with all parts working.<BR><BR>I found that it did not have as special a uniqueness as I think I was looking for. I'm not certain if I was looking for something like Zion Natl or Bryce but for me, what I found, was more commercial. Each trip is was a separate tour and cost. The special dinner was a buffet and you had to climb a slight incline in sand and the bugs were biting like crazy.<BR>I honestly think you could enjoy Sydney, Perth, the barrier Reef a lot more. If I've disappointed you, I'm sorry.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 01:03 PM
liz

I agree with the above poster. The centre is not an easy place to be if you are not fully 100% fit because of the rough services. It was bad enough for me with 2 artificial knees let alone someone like yourself. Also quite frankly I think that it would not come anywhere close to the fantastic sites you have in Arizona i.e. Grand Canyon, Sedona, Painted Desert etc etc. <BR>The Barrier Reef on the other hand would be wonderful for you as it does not require much effort to have a great time in water anyway. Sydney too, perhaps around the Gold Coast and/or Melbourne.<BR>Have a great time in Oz and yes you will need a transformer for your chair.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 05:22 AM
Paul S

Hi MD,<BR><BR>I live in Alice Springs and I can tell you that there is no place here that rents Tikes. The best you could hope for would be a Quad Bike tour but I do not think they cater for people with disabilities, sorry.<BR><BR>You will find that the accomodation at Ayres Rock varies from camp ground to 5 star but it is quite a ways from the Rock itself. I think you will find getting around a bit tedious, it can be done but a lot of the outdoor activities are not wheelchair friendly.<BR>You will need to bring a converter for your chair.<BR><BR>Cheers<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 05:23 AM
Paul S

Sorry I should also say that the Quad Bike tours are not at the Rock they are done just out of Alice Springs.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 07:26 AM
csm

I just had a disabled client return from a trip to Oz, including Uluru. She's in a wheelchair too, and had a wonderful time. It took a bit of planning but we did it. Post email address here and I will reply to you.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 05:33 PM
Mike

It would be great for you to have a marvelous time.<BR><BR>But then I'd like to know how they got that client all around Uluru. Don't think it was easy.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 01:03 PM
csm

I have a contact in Oz that deals with travel for the disabled. He is in a wheelchair too. Australia is a fine destination for the physically challanged.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:33 PM
m draves

Indeed, converter seems to be a common thread, and semi anticipated.<BR><BR>Yes, Arizona is nice, but sunning myself at Uluhru has been a fantasy long before a drunk took my legs.<BR><BR>I want to traipse around as much as I can, and have thought of purchasing a Ural with sidecar or some-such...jury still out on that though.<BR><BR>Please email me directly at '[email protected]' if you wish,just put something in the subject jfield that I can relate to this inquiry as I delete/block any messages from senders that I do not recognize.<BR><BR>Other destinations in OZ are quite attractive too .... like getting soggy, and groggy wherever,however,whenever.<BR><BR>'till then, keeping the rubber-side down,<BR><BR>mdraves

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:41 AM
Debbie

Hi--<BR>As I was looking up some info in my Australia travel guide (Fodor's, natch!)I noticed that they listed a variety of travel agents, several of which that market themselves for individuals w/disabilities. Perhaps, these companies may be helpful to you <BR><BR>Good luck, I'm off to Oz in 2 days!!<BR>Debbie