Dunk/Green/Hamilton Islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of 4 will be in the Port Douglas and Cairns vicinity in early August. We are interested in spending some time on one of these islands. We like snorkeling, kayaking, sailing, pools, etc. with moderate or better accomodations. I am looking at the AAA catalog and wanted to see if anyone out there has had any experiences on any of these islands, and advice for us!Are these places only accesible by air? Thanks!
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 02:15 PM

You might check previous posts on these islands by going to the top of the page at "Search this Forum" and type in each island individually. Personally, having been to all three, I would not choose any of them but then it depends on your interests.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 03:40 PM

pizpuffin - there's a large choice of boats visiting reef from either Cairns or Port Douglas, if you look at previous postings here you'll find plenty of recommendations for these as well as accommodation. Out of Cairns, Ocean Spirit and Ecstasea provide sailing to reef, Wavedancer sails to Low Isles out of Port Douglas. Most snorkelling trips visit reefs and sand cays rather than islands, the only day island trip you would need to fly to is Lizard, because it is much further north.

For kayaking there's Fitzroy Island off Cairns(do a search for Raging Thunder), or Snapper Island, 2km from mouth of Daintree River. There is no website, but if you email [email protected] they'll give you information. All resorts and holiday apartments have pools and in August it is quite safe to swim on coastal beaches as there is no danger from box jellyfish or crocodiles. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 03:58 PM

Sorry Pizpuffin - you asked for Hamilton, Green or Dunk specifically. Hamilton is nowhere near Port Douglas or Cairns, its in the Whitsundays and some distance from GBR. Dunk is nice for families with lovely rainforest, but its still some way from GBR, and is 2 hours south of Cairns. It's just off Mission Beach, which is also worth visiting. Green is the only true coral cay you mentioned but because it is so close to Cairns mainland it gets an awful lot of daytrippers - however there's good snorkelling on its eastern reef which cannot be reached from Green itself - Ocean Free is a small yacht (you said you liked sailing and I forgot to mention it in my other posting) which will take you there. Hinchinbook Island, about halfway between Cairns and Townsville is really worth visiting for nature and wildlife, and it has a resort.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 07:06 AM

Of the three islands you mention, I think Dunk would be my pick for the activities you like, except that snorkeling is not very good. Visited Dunk on a daytrip a few years ago and would have liked to have stayed overnight. We did some lovely walks through rainforest, a bit of sailing and just laying around on the beach.
Went to Green Island years ago, before the resort was upgraded. Stayed for 4-5 nights, enjoyed the snorkeling and relaxation. However, daytrippers do detract from the exclusivity of the place (it's a very small island).

As Pat mentioned, only Green Island is close to Cairns among the three, though Dunk is not too far. Hamilton does have regular air service however...I believe it's the only Queensland Island where you can fly by large commercial jet. It is also the most commercialized.

Have you considered any other Queensland resort islands? Maybe they are not listed in your AAA catalog.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice. We have found that we will be better off doing day trips instead of being on Dunk Island for 3 days. We will be looking for snorkeling and sailing out of Cairns or Port Douglas as we will be staying in both places over a week in August. I started a new posting looking for recomendations. Thanks again!
Randy