Dunedin

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 11:21 PM
Ardie

Dunedin

We are taking a New Zealand cruise, and Dunedin is a port stop for us. What should we plan to do if we don't want to see the Royal Albatross?

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 05:47 AM
John

Ardie:<BR>Take a coach tour of the Otago Peninsula. Breathtaking scenery. Can't imagine why you wouldn't want to see the Royal Albatross in its natural habitat. We took that tour also and highly recommend it.<BR>John

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 08:15 AM
pat

When do you leave? I leave today to go on the Regal Princess. I will try to post when I return. We are doing the train in Dunedin, so I will see how that is.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 10:39 PM
ALF

Dunedin is a tidy University town, which is quite pleasant, but small. There Otago Museum houses a very extensive collection of pre-European Maori artifacts. I agree with John that the Otago Peninsula is worth seeing, even if you don't visit the albatross colony at Tairoa Head. Nearby, there are also places to see penguins, including the Yellow-eyed Penguin (Hoiho) Conservation Reserve. If you have kids, you might want to consider a visit to the gigantic Moana pool complex in Dunedin, complete with a couple of fun waterslides.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 03:58 AM
Jenny

I LOVE Dunedin - a home away from home for me! You should definitely see the wildlife on the Otago Peninsula, and I'd suggest contacting Brian at the ELm Wildlife Tours (http://www.elmwildlifetours.co.nz/index.htm) for a completely unique experience. Brian and his wife are lovely, too.<BR><BR>Also, there are often some interesting exhibits on at the art gallery in the main square, or there's always the Speight's Brewery Tours. The Botanic Gardens are beautiful, and have a lot of exotic specimens, and a 10 minute walk from them also takes you to the steepest street in the world - Baldwin Street.<BR><BR>Definitely spend some time in Dunedin!

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Jane

We enjoyed visiting the "castle"--great view and gardens. It was much more interesting than I had anticipaated. It also has a "tea room" with delicious food.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:16 PM
anon

They showed us the "world's steepest street" (no joke) while we were in Dunedin - other than the penguins, I'm afraid Dunedin is pretty uninteresting.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Karol

The train trip throught the gorge was one of the highlights of our trip! Plus, they really spoil you with top notch service, food, and drink. Would suggest you take this if you like scenery as the train was very nice. Not much in town to do there!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Chris Hensleigh

HI! Just spent a year exchange in New Zealand in the South Island...in city called Timaru. about 3 hours north of Dunedin. Dunedin is an awesome University city...(1/4 of the population are UNI students) and for young people during the academic year..this is an awesome city to go out in and meet people! Absolutely awesome nightlife considering the size of the city! I LOVE DUNEDIN FAVOURITE NZ City...Christchurch is a close second however..