Reload this Page >

Driving in NZ - Christchurch to Arthurs Pass

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Dawn

Hello, we are spending 3 weeks (early May) in NZ for our honeymoon - we are renting cars in a number of cities. I am nervous about driving on "the other side of the road", but my biggest concern in the drive between Christchurch and Arthurs Pass - I've read that this can be a rough drive in winter, and we are pushing it in May...<BR><BR>Other information says the Road (I believe it is Hwy 73) is much improved.<BR><BR>Any advise/experience? The timing of our flight arrival doesn't allow us to use the TranzAlpine train.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 07:30 AM
John

Dawn:<BR>We took a motor coach tour from Christchurch to Arthur's Pass in November. We then returned to CHC by train. There was much snow on the ground at the higher elevations. I can only imagine what the weather is up there in May! The return trip to CHC by train was wonderful. The scenery is breathtaking. <BR>Too bad you can't arrange to go by train.<BR>I recognize that the scenery is the same by car or by train but someone else driving is so much better. If you should go by motor coach and return by train, be sure to sit on the left side of the train. Most of the gorges are best viewed from the left. Those passengers on the right side of the train spent most of the trip trying to see over those of us on the left.<BR>John

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 10:37 AM
Dawn

to the top.... would love any advice on winter NZ driving in general<BR><BR>Happy holidays,<BR><BR>Dawn

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 01:12 PM
Brushtail

I too went to NZ in November and travelled on the TranzAlpine train. My trip was from Christchurch to Arthurs Pass and I was advised by friends to sit on the Northern side of the train. The train travels East to West and West to East.<BR><BR>The views were absolutely magnificent but the best part of the whole trip was the open carriage. We were told of this and came suitably attired with coat, beanie and gloves. The wind was strong, in your face and great. We spent the whole trip there and felt sorry for those wimps who stayed in their comfortable upholstered seats and looked out of a window. You have to get in amongst it. The tunnels were particularly interesting. LOL.<BR><BR>It was one of my highlights of NZ which is a stunningly beautiful country.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 06:24 PM
sonia

Hi<BR><BR>The road at Arthurs pass IS improved! I went years ago in July and was driven by my uncle who has to be the worst driver in NZ, so it was pretty hair-raising!!! Until 2 years ago, there was a small section that was very steep, narrow and winding - a bad combo in the snow!! But now they have opened a viaduct so the road is pretty straight. I didi the tranzalpine express which was great for the most part, but I felt I enjoyed the trip more by road.<BR><BR>Be aware though that some roads in NZ do get closed if there is heavy snow/ice but I would think that this wouldnt happen until June/July/August...<BR><BR>There are so few cars on the road in rural S.Island that driving is pretty easy and safe. My main advice would be to make sure you stick to the speed limits shown on the signs on all the bends as these give a very accurate guide as to the sharpness of any bends!!!!

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 09:44 PM
David

Dawn,<BR>The best advice I ever got about driving on the other side of the road (and for me that is the "wrong" side of the road for you) was that when you look out the drivers side window you should be looking at the middle of the road. Simple, but in my case effective!!<BR><BR>Winter driving in New Zealand is ok. Lots of people do it for a good proportion of the year. The advice where snow and ice is concerned is the same the world over;<BR>(a) slow down<BR>(b) If you are driving a manual drive in the gear above that that you normally would. If you are driving an auto use the overdrive button.<BR>(c) Double the following distance between you and the car in front<BR>(d) Watch the weather reports and if in doubt contact the locat authorities.<BR><BR>If you follow these simple rules its a sinch.<BR><BR>Regards<BR>David

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 09:24 PM
Royd

Dawn,<BR> I drove for ten days on both islands last April and found it to be quite easy and I was driving a campervan. I would definitely recommend that you get an automatic transmission because is quite difficult to get used to shifting with your left hand. (I found that out in England two years ago!)<BR> There is very little traffic on the roads there and I found the highways to be very adequate, although I did not drive thru Arthur's Pass. If you can arrange it, the Tranz Alpine ride from CHC to Greymouth would be ideal since I know that you can rent cars there. <BR> The weather in April was sunny and fair, so May weather may not yet be very wintery. You can check weather conditions, including historical data, at www.wunderground.com<BR> Be prepared to fall in love with this country, especially the West Coast of the South Island. It is lush and green and reminds one of Hawaii but without any tourists or congestion. The locals are friendly and engaging so don't pass up any opportunities to get acquainted!

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Dawn

thank you so much for your responses - we are really looking forward to our trip!