Search

Drive along Arthur's Pass

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:55 AM
Yip

Drive along Arthur's Pass

hi there<BR><BR>wondering if anyone can share with me what's the drive across Arthur's Pass is like. How long does it take from Christchurch to reach Greymouth and is the road winding??<BR><BR>thanks

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:58 AM
ALF

Its a beautiful drive over Arthur's Pass. The road grade is a pretty steady uphill from Christchurch, with some sweeping bends, but not at all tight. The road levels out on the approach to the Pass, and runs relatively straight through spectacular valleys. Dropping off the Pass down the other side has some extremely narrow, tight, and winding sections that are quite challenging if your vehicle is long or wide. I can't recall how long it took us, primarily because we overnighted at the Pass. You can make good time on the west side, but allow 2x normal time at least on the east side.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 01:02 PM
traveller

We drove from Greymouth to Christchurch. And also overnighted in the Pass. It is an easy drive if you are used to mountain driving but even if not, the roads are good. One thing though, we had some of those nasty biting NZ flies in the Pass where we overnighted. They were really bad. Take along some DEET.<BR><BR>It is a beautiful drive and well worth the time to travel. There were some areas of the road that were extremely steep and winding and narrow but we found it no problem.<BR><BR>Enjoy.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:25 PM
Yip

Thanks for the info. Sounds like quite a bit of challenge driving. Not sure if we are up to it. Was actually thinking of how to plan Arthur's Pass into our itinerary. An alternative would be to drive from Christchurch-Mt Cook-Wanaka/Queenstown- up the West Coast and leave the car at Greymouth and take the TranzAlpine to Christchurch where we depart home. How much would I miss??

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:19 PM
Mary

Quite honestly I think that Arthur's Pass is pretty "ho Hum" and nothing to write home about. However I have made the comparison between Arthur's Pass and areas that I have been in the Rockys in the USA and Canada, Alaskan Highway and parts of Europe. <BR>The is nothing challanging about the driving there at all and frankly the drive up to Milford Sound is much better.