Search

Do Australians say this?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do Australians say this?

A person posted on another forum I go to that she lived "in Aussie". I thought that an Aussie was a person. Is this a regional thing or common?
Just curious and endlessly interested in things Australian.
Sally
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 12:53 PM

Hi Sally, have heard it said - Australians are notorious for abbreviating a word and then sticking an "ie" on the end - ie, "brekkie", "rellie", "tellie", we do it with proper nouns too.

Old Oct 9th, 2005, 02:50 PM

I would have thought the more common word would be 'Oz' rather than Aussie.
But as Pat says we do the most extraordinary things to pretty ordinary words!
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 04:42 PM
ALF

My favorite is, 'eskie', which is an abbreviation for 'Eskimo', as in a popular brand of insulated cooler chest. A close second would be, 'mozzie', for mosquito.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 05:38 PM

Sally, I've never heard anyone say it, but I suppose that some might. I might get an argument from the Queenslanders on this board, but I think the "-ie" phenomenon is more common in that neck of the woods than further south. When looking at investment properties I was treated to quite a few examples by the real estate salesman and pictured us relaxing on the deck of our four beddie (4-BR home), cooking some big muddies (mudcrabs) on the barbie while downing a tinnie or two and gazing out in the general direction of South Straddie (South Stradbroke Island). On the same visit I noticed a hand-lettered sign on the Bruce Highway: FISHO AT SERVO, 300M (fish vendor at service station, 300 metres). You need to save all the breath you can in that climate, I suppose.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 07:10 PM

Sally I have heard that used quite often but only by New Zealanders. My NZ friend often says that and she is a south islander NZer so perhaps it may even be certain localities in NZ.
Australians would say Oz.
Neil, fair suck of the sav mate I have never heard beddie in my life. Yes I have heard something like beddie byes but never beddie but the rest are right on.
I guess that when you live in Candie you tend to hear things that are not said due to the windie that moans over the plainies, at least that is the pollie's excuse.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 09:20 PM

It could be a strictly Brissie thing, Liz.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 09:25 PM

Must be a Kiwi thing - If asked where I am going on my next holiday, I would reply, "just to Aussie" without a second thought.

Hmmm, I learn something new everyday.

nzers
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 10:12 PM

As soon as I hit the post button remembered I'd heard Kiwis use it too.

Neil, just had a quick look through the local paper - didn't see any "beddies", and like Liz have never heard of them. But under Adult Services did find "Trannies" for "Transvestites". And I thought they were old radios. Other quaint road signs such as "slasher ahead", this one usually stops the Poms.

"Tinnies" (both beer and small boats), "barbies", "pokies" not exclusive to Qld - were well used in Sydney, but not much in Adelaide, where someone named "Brian" would never be called "Briany". Thank goodness.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Dear Sally, Patty, Neilie ( or should that just be Nelly) Ally, Alfie - Prue has already got the e on the end.
The one thing you forgot is potty - as in I want to go potty, which at least here in the Deep North does not mean I want to go mad ( potty meaning a bit demented - used mostly in the UK) but I want to go to the WC which is pretty hard to do is you have a cossie on at the time ( Qld only I think).
For those of you who are just learning about the Aussie language here are some others for you: Men have willies, women have titties, we take the young kiddies ta ta s in the car - men in central Sydney have a snort at the Rubberty Dub ( people from Canberra would never do that tho') and some Two and Froms even find that its a bit Soldiers down south in winter!
So if you think you will be able to communicate with us you may just have to invest in a Macquarie Dictionery first!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 02:30 PM

Liz, I've always thought this stuff is baby talk - "potty" just confirms it. "Cossie"? I think I'm about to puke.

Sally, just use English.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:43 PM

I confirmed with my Kiwi friend that it is they who use the term Aussie when referring to Australia. Not only that but she sent me the following joke about Kiwis seeing that we are talking about the way people speak. Neil, if you are going to puke it is probably because of the dinner you cooked last night and not because of anything else.
Anyway he is the Kiwi joke! WARNING!!!!! THE FOLLOWING JOKE CONTAINS REFERENCE TO SEXUAL ATTACHMENTS, SO IF YOU ARE AGAINST SEX PLEASE READ NO FURTHER !
Bist joke in a long time!!!!!!

Helen Clarke, Prime Minister of New Zulland, is rudely awoken at 4am by the

telephone.

Hillen, its the hilth munister here. Sorry to bother you at this hour but

there is an emergency! I've just received word thet the Durex fectory en

Auckland has burned to the ground.

It is istimated thet the entire New Zulland supply of condoms will be gone

by the ind of the week.'

Shut - the economy wull niver be able to cope with all those unwanted babies

- wi'll be ruined!'

We're going to hef to shup some in from abroad...

Brutain?...'

No chence!! The Poms will have a field day on thus one!'

What about Australia?'

Maybe - but we don't want them to know thet we are stuck.

You call John Howard - tell hum we need one moollion condoms; ten enches

long and eight enches thuck! That way they'll know how bug the Kiwis really

are!!'

Helen calls John, who agrees to help the Kiwis out in their hour of need.

Three days later a van arrives in Auckland - full of boxes.

A elighted Hillen rushes out to open the boxes.

She finds condoms; 10 unches long; 8 unches thuck, all coloured green and

gold.

She then notices in small writing on each and ivery one.........

MADE IN AUSTRALIA - SIZE : MEDIUM

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:56 PM

Topping - for my Kiwi cousin!

Liz: I've never heard some of those expressions & I've lived here all my life! What on earth's a "To & From"?
I thought the "Rubbity Dub" was cockney - didn't know it'd survived the transportation this long!

Gee, I love this Forum - learn something & have a laugh every day!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:35 PM

Bokhara, and for those of you who did not spend time living in inner Sydney which continued the Cockney Rhyming slang and added some of their own: a To and From is a POM, the Rubbity Dub is a Pub: a Noah's Arc is a shark and so on and so forth the word "soldiers' " is for Soldiers Bold meaning cold, there are many, many words on the Australian slang which started with the Cockney convicts I guess and those who were free men. My father who always lived in the central part of Sydney used it and so did all his friends that I can recall but its disappeared I think now.
I loved the Kiwi joke, more for accent than the joke itself - perhaps though Neil could tell us if its true or not.
Just another thought that did cross my mind too is that I should mention to Australians that Durex in NZ must be the same as in the UK where it's the name for condoms where upon in Australia its sticky tape - I know this for a fact because I asked for some durex ( sticky tape) in the middle of a crowded shop in the UK and wondered why everyone laughed.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 11:38 PM

Thanks Liz,
I think lots of Australians found out about Durex and (in the US) XXXX (is it 4X in the US?) the same way. Can't remember the advertising jingle that went with the XXXX marketing campaign at the time, but it was hilarious .... oh yes, wasn't it "I feel a 4X coming on"?

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 03:01 AM

More trivia - there's an example of rhyming slang in the USA too: blowing a raspberry. (Raspberry tart, fart).

Like Pig Latin and other obscure slang, I think it was invented by London crims to obscure a conversation (in the event that the Old Bill, a.k.a. The Filth, was listening in). That's why you'd only use the first word in the rhyme, like "rubbity" for pub - use both and you've pretty much given the game away. I remember my father using "rubbity", but then he was a To and From. Or a To-and, maybe? And "Time to hit the frog!" (Frog-and-toad, road).
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 06:52 AM
ALF

Speaking of rhyming slang, it looks like everyone is too polite to mention what they call Yanks.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 11:28 AM

Heard another one last night - Loobies - for nits. Seems like there are lots of loobies at one particular school so we have to be on the lookout! Now where did that come from?
Alf I don't know what we call Yanks actually. My father was a "yank" who my mother met when the Yanks were fighting in the Coral Sea in WW2 all I know is what she called him after they divorced and then that was second hand from her second husband anyway. Not that I believed him in any case as my mother's parents were also Yanks so no doubt she was a tad careful. But 2nd husband used to say that they were: Over-paid, over-sexed and over here but I just think that was sour grapes because it increased the competition for the Aussie guys. But if the Kiwi joke is to believed then they should not have worried!
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 06:17 PM

Hi Liz,

Very good with the accent. Not far off at all.

BTW. Here in NZ we are told the reason that the amber brew is called XXXX is because Australians could not spell beer.

Now that will throw the cat among the Pukeko.

Cheers

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 07:58 PM
ALF

Seppos?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -