Discovery Eco-Tours: book now or later?

Jun 13th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Discovery Eco-Tours: book now or later?

I've decided to book with Discovery Eco-tours for my time during the Outback. Would it be advisable to book now? Or is it ok to wait until we arrive? I've been told that while in Port Douglas, it's fine to wait until you arrive before booking anything to see how the weather is, etc. Just wondered about the Discovery Eco-tours for the Outback as well. Thanks.
Jun 13th, 2003, 02:55 PM

We booked ahead of time and payed when we got to Ayer's Rock Resort. Since we knew what we wanted and were on a very tight schedule, it worked out best for us to do it that way. Then we didn't have to worry about availablity etc. It is all personal preference.

Good Choice with Discovery Eco-Tours!

Amy
Jun 13th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Amy. What all did you do on your tight schedule? We'll arrive mid-day on the 26th, and depart early morning on the 28th.

I'd like to:
Day 1 - Predators of the Red Center
Olgas and the Dunes
Ayers Rock Observatory

Day 2 - Uluru Walk.

Day 2 would end at 11:30am, leaving me with the whole rest of the day with nothing to do. What else is there to do in the Outback, that would depart after 11:30am? I looked at the Outback Safari tour, but that's too expensive, even with the multi pass. Thanks.

Donna
Jun 13th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

.... Also, I forgot to ask. Are there no hot air balloon tours in Ayers Rock? There are plenty in Alice Springs. Thanks again.

Donna
Jun 13th, 2003, 06:36 PM

I'm very interested in this discussion as I'm now planning our trip to the Outback, also planning to use Discovery Ecotours. Two ideas for your second day are a sunset camel ride or the Sounds of Silence dinner. Both still leave you with some free time in the afternoon. But I hope other people have some ideas too as I'm still myself looking into the best way to structure a two night trip to Uluru. There's too much to do and yet like you, I end up with awkward gaps in the schedule. I'll have kids with me, so I figure some free unstructured time may be for the good (hotel pool, anyone?) but if I were going without kids, I'd probably want to pack the maximum into each day.
Jun 14th, 2003, 03:45 AM

Donna,

We arrived that afternoon, and within a few hours took the Discovery Eco-tour Sunset tour to the Olgas. Very Pretty!

The next day we went all day with AAT Kings Tour to Kings Canyon. In my opinion, there were too many people. It was a nice day & a good hike, but it felt crowded because of the large group. Maybe Discovery has a tour now, they didn't before. It was still a nice day though and a nice ride into the outback. I guess I just got spoiled with the small group with Discoverry.

Then the next morning we got up and did the Uluru sunrise tour with Discovery Eco-tours, before we left to go to Cairns. So beautiful and serene first thing in the morning. If you are on a tight schedule like that, ask the resort for a late checkout. That way you don't have to worry about getting back from your tour late & checking out..etc..

Have Fun,

Amy

Jul 15th, 2003, 04:18 PM

Two eco tours that leave ex port douglas that have ADVANCED ECO ACCREDITATION are Wavelength and Cooper Creek Wild rainforest walksc
cheers