Dinner at Waikawa

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dinner at Waikawa

We will be flying from Rotorua to Queenstown and then driving down to Waikawa (Catlins) early Feb. We expect to get there by 8pm.

Are there any restaurants in Waikawa where we could go for dinner or do we need to get something on the way?

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 02:20 PM

If no one has an answer for you, try contacting your hotel in Waikawa. They should know what's available.

Enjoy your trip!

Lee Ann
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 02:34 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I found this info compliments of www.catlins.org.nz - hope it helps.

Food - South Catlins

Fortrose Food & Fuel Ph 03 246 9888, [email protected]

Niagara Falls Cafe/Restaurant & Gallery Niagara, Ph 03 246 8577, [email protected]

Tokanui Tavern Liquormart & meals Ph 03 246 8725

Waikawa Info Centre & Shop Ph 03 246 8444, [email protected]

Food - North Catlins

Catlins Diner & Backpackers Meals & takeaways, Owaka, Ph 03 415 8292

Papatowai Store Groceries, bottlestore, fuel and Motels, Ph 03 415 8147, [email protected]

The Point - Cafe & Bar Kaka Point, Ph 03 412 8800

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:46 PM

I wouldn't pin my hopes on finding much open in Waikawa after 8pm. It's a couple of years since I've been there but my recollection is that it's a bunch of holiday houses clustered around the wharf, and nothing else.

The suggestion of contacting your accommodation is a good one.

You will be driving through Gore, which is about 2 hours from Queenstown. My advice is to have dinner there. Try the "Howl at the Moon". It's across the road on the right as you go into the roundabout at the start of Gore's Main street.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies!

I have been advised to drive along the main highway to Invercargill and then follow the directions to the Dolphin Center in Waikawa.

Is Gore along this route? Or is there a shorter route from Queenstown to Waikawa?

Could you also recommend a good driving map I could pick up from Auckland Airport? (we plan to drive around a fair bit and can't find any good NZ driving maps in US!)

Thank you so very much!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 11:12 AM

Well, If I was driving from Qtn to Waikawa I would take Hwy 6 to Lumsden, then 94 to Gore, 1 to Edendale, and then cut through to Fort Rose via Seaward Downs, Mataura Island and Waimahaka. Looking at the map this appears to be the longer route, but in actual driving time it's about 30 minutes shorter because you don't have to go through Invercargill.

If you decide to stick with the route via Invercargill there are plenty of restaurants which will be open, including KFC and Mc Donalds.

Most book shops sell road maps, and I am sure you will find plenty available at the airport. If you are an AAA member you can get NZ AA maps for free from any AA office. They may be available on line. (www.aaguides.co.nz) Another good source is Jasons(www.Jasons.co.nz)

Don't try to find Waikawa without a map. particularly at night. I can see you driving around the back roads, of which there are plenty, cold, hungry, and short of fuel.

Good luck.

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 11:24 AM

Just had a thought.

Why are you flying into Queenstown? Invercargill would be much closer. Is it because of the flight schedules?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi!

Thanks so much for the tips!

We actually got the tickets a while ago and at that point we were thinking of going straight to Te Anau which is why we got the tickets to Queenstown. It's only later that we decided to go to Catlins and it was too late to change the tickets! So that's the story behind the drive!

We really hope to get there before nightfall.. I understand that's about 9pm in Feb. Is that correct?

Thank a ton again!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 03:16 PM

Personally, I would go thru Invercargill as directed. It's not like you are going to be caught up in a huge rush hour. It would be a better bet for a sit down dinner, and about an hour from Waikawa.

The standard tourist recommendation in Invercargill is HMS Kings, a fishing net and floats kind of place. I had some nice meals at Jagz Cafe at 72 King's St in a residential neighborhood north of the city center. There is an Invercargill Pak n Save (big supermarket) that should be open until til 9 pm. No matter what route you take, it would be a good idea to stop in either Gore or Invercargill at a supermarket before the Catlins.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:23 PM

I'm devistated You mean you gave up Te Anau in favour of Waikawa?? That's what you get for planning your trip through Foders. You should try Trip Adviser, they wouldn't put you wrong

Second the vote for HMS Kings. we eat there a lot, and it's great. Also agree you should stock up before heading to the Catlins. Kings is on Tay Street, on of the main streets in the CBD, Pac&Save is directly opposite, so you could fill your stomach and your pantry with the one stop.

I'm going away to sulk in a corner now. You've ruined my day
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

hahaha

Please don't upset yourself vbca! We'll be spending 2 days in Te Anau after the Catlins!

Thank you all very much for your comments. It's been a great help!
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:59 AM

What a relief!!!, My faith is restored.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday in our beautiful country.

Cheers,
barry