Search

Debit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Debit Cards

In order to avoid credit card charges for currency conversion, I'd like to use my USA debit card for purchases when visiting Perth in Australia. It has a VISA logo. Will this be accepted the way a charge card is? I've heard that debit cards are not used in Australia as they are in the US.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 07:07 AM
LN

When we readied for our OZ/NZ trip we took Travelers checks, credit cards, and debit card. We never had any difficulty with using our credit cards and had no charge for currency conversion (credit union cards and BankAmerica card). The same was true of my debit card. The banks did charge a fee for cashing travelers checks though and it was $10. on $100. so I thought that high, used my debit card and returned to the states with my travelers checks. Needless to say, I won't be taking travelers checks again. Your best best would be to check with your personal bank (credit card and debit) and see what their charges are. You can always get a new credit card before hand that doesn't charge for currency conversions.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 07:14 AM

My son is currently studying in Sydney -- has a Visa check card, no problem at all using it.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Just to clarify -- I'm confident I won't have trouble using my VISA Check Card as an ATM card. My concern is weather or not it could be used to pay for purchases, hotels, etc. (like a charge card).
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 11:47 AM

With a Visa logo, you will be able to use it for purchases as well as an ATM card - no worries, but you may still end up paying for currency conversion. Check with your bank to find out how much they add to the official forex rate. Also, find out what your bank charges for foreign ATM transactions, and factor that into the exchange rate when withdrawing AU$.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 09:06 AM

We've used our debit card all over New Zealand, around Sydney, and in a few European countries, and have had only one problem. At a shop outside the Sydney Opera House, it didn't work [never found out why]. A few places [in the states included] didn't think they could accept a debit card, but in fact, it went through when they processed it.