Daytime sightseeing dress

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:55 AM
Sandy

Daytime sightseeing dress

Hi - This is a really dumb question...especially coming from someone in NYC which is filled with tourists wearing "whatever", but I'm starting to pack and just wanted to check. We'll be in New Zealand the beginning of November and Australia mid-to-end of November. I expect to wear capri's, shirt and sneakers when I sightsee Sydney/Melbourne. My husband would wear nice shorts, collar polo and sneakers. At night, we'd dress. This is O.K., right? I assume it will be warmer at Ayers Rock, in Alice Springs and Cairn, but we'd probably dress the same for the daytime. Any comments? Thanks, but the closer the trip gets the dumber the questions.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Lynn

Sound fine to me, you will probably be better dressed than a lot of Australians! Sydney and Melbourne are dressy cities, Melbourne in particular is full of people clothed in black. If you are going shopping in Chapel St (Melbourne) you would want to dress the way you would for shopping in Saks, but dress in Australia is very similar to dress in NYC. Some top restaurants require a jacket and tie, but this is rare and smart casual works well in Australia. Remember to pack some light rain covers for this time of year in Sydney and Melbourne. The weather will be lovely mostly but some cooler days and rain are not unusual. Wear a hat and sunscreen as the sun is very strong. Have fun, we are a pretty relaxed lot

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Sandy

Lynn - Thanks. It's hard to pack just one suitcase for so many climates. I just wanted to make sure.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Jo

Hi Sandy
As Lynn says, that sounds fine.
Just one thing I would add - make sure you have something warm as it can be quite cool in the mornings & evenings here in NZ at that time of the year (depends where you are though).
Kiwis are pretty relaxed about this kind of thing anyway - you could probably wear your gardening clothes and not get a second glance.
Hope your trip goes well.
Jo

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 12:02 AM
Kimberley

Sandy,
I agree with all said above. Sydney can be really warm at that time of year, but we do get rain at that time of year as well. So pack for summer, but have something warm and wet weather gear for those wet days. If you are planning to go to the beautiful beaches we have here in Sydney, then definately take t-shirts and your bathers! The beaches are VERY relaxed in what you wear. Good luck!

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 01:08 AM
Kimberley

Sandy,
I agree with all said above. Sydney can be really warm at that time of year, but we do get rain at that time of year as well. So pack for summer, but have something warm and wet weather gear for those wet days. If you are planning to go to the beautiful beaches we have here in Sydney, then definately take t-shirts and your bathers! The beaches are VERY relaxed in what you wear. Good luck!

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 05:45 AM
Sandy

Hi Jo,
We will be in Auckland, Rotorua, Queenstown, Franz Josef & Christchurch...wow! I expect cooler temps there so I plan to pack jeans and long sleeve tops. Correct????? Otherwise I THINK I have it covered. We traveled to Europe 2 years ago and the folks on our tour were mostly from NZ & Oz. They were fantastic and a bit informal. It was terrific. I've been checking the temps. on the web and NZ seems to be quite cool still. Gee, I just might have to do some shopping there if I have the wrong clothes. I could think of worse things.